Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2021 11:39:11 AM EDT
I’m on the fence about switching up my EDC. I’m looking for thoughts/ opinions please.

Currently I carry a S&W 642 (I know my funeral) however, I want to switch to a semi auto. However, I can’t make up my mind on what to get. I’m mainly a Glock shooter, but I’m not too concerned with brand, mainly concerned with reliability and weight.

The biggest hurdle for me is size/weight of a semi auto vs the snub nose. For those of you that have switched, what did you choose and why.

I’m also writing this, cause I have literally looked at every single stack offering on the market today, and I can’t make up my mind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a die hard glock guy.  If you need to go small sig p365. I absolutely love it.

Otherwise G19
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
When I switched I went G26 because piss on a single stack. I would look at a 365 nowdays.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Do like I do. If Im going to the city and I feel under gunned I carry another J-Frame. There.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I switched I went G26 because piss on a single stack. I would look at a 365 nowdays.
View Quote

For me I found the 26 and 19 concealed basically the same so just went 19. I carried the 19 canted and the 26 straight draw because the smaller grip size so they printed the same.  

The 365 is a huge difference in concealability. I use a black point holster with the wings strong side and it disappears.

Oh and I carry the 15 round p365 reload in my pocket which is a good size. That's 26 rounds. Not bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I normally carry a 1911, but there are times when I can't. I have carried 2 J-frames and felt perfectly safe.

I am a huge fan of J-frames with a 3 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 48/43x with Shield Arms 15 round mags (once they become available again) or Sig P365
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glock 48/43x with Shield Arms 15 round mags (once they become available again) or Sig P365
View Quote

I am very satisfied with my G48, SA mag, 16 rds 147 gr HSTs, Ameriglo CAP sights.   carried iwb at 3:00
it shoots great & carries great.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If i'm in workout pants and a sweatshirt for quick runs to the store, I carry my J frame. Anything else its my P365 or bigger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
P365 is better than the j-frame in most every way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve switched to a G43X or G48 most of the time off duty.

Easy to carry and very capable

Routinely score mid 90s on Defoor hat qual with them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
If I felt the need to carry anything smaller than my P07 I'd get myself an M&P 9MM.

Maybe we just got lucky, but the one I got my wife a year or so back out shoots three of the full sized M&Ps I own.  100% reliable so far (at the range) with 115 grain hollow points and 115 grain FMJ.

I have an FNS Compact that is so much smaller (feeling) than the P07 that the few times I've carried it I keep getting the feeling I've lost it because it's so "unnoticeable" when carrying vs. the P07.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve never carried a revolver but if you’re looking to switch take a hard look at the Sig Sauer P365 or P365XL (especially the XL if you’re thinking about doing a red dot sight).

The 365 you can carry either 10/12/15 + 1 with the XL it’s 12 or 15 + 1.

I carry a P365 and love it. Conceals great, I carry the flush 10 round mag if pocket carrying (and the 12 round magazine as my backup mag) otherwise I carry with the 12 round mag and the 10 as my backup.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like you want to switch for switchings sake. Just pick one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock 48
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640-0

I'd stay with the J-frame, but bump up your model from the 642, to the 640.

The above model has night sights, and you can get a very good Crimson Trace laser grip for it.

Start old school, stay old school.  

Then maybe have a Glock 19 or such, on a belt holster, for higher risk carry times.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

I carry the P365 in pocket and P365XL with RomeoZero on the strong side.  However, I've been test driving the G43x with apex trigger and Shield arms upgrade.  Both very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not going to tell you what I "switched to" because I couldn't switch to anything in the first place: I can't get a CHL because of my age, so I have to open carry.

Might not mean much, but my recommendations:
• Glock 19
• Glock 43, possibly better with 48 slide
• Glock 48
• Sig P365, XL might be better for you
• Sig P320
• S&W Shield 2.0
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're pocket carrying, I'd go p365. I have both it and the Glock 43 and find the Sig easier to shoot (and, obviously, it holds more rounds). If you want a small handgun for IWB, I'd go Sig P365XL. Great gun, very easy to conceal, and adding a red dot to it is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I have a g48 for when I have to dress nicely, its hot, or just running quick errands in a Tenicor velo with one ddc clip.  Nice and low profile & simple.  If you want easier to conceal maybe look at a 43x.  If you're not willing to up to something with greater capacity I dunno if there is much benefit switching to a subcompact gun that is only 6/7 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
In true arf.com fashion: get both.  The standard G43 would pair very well with your 642 and is slim, rust-proof and accurate enough for most needs with the advantage of magazine-based reloads.  I carry both revos and semis and find carrying and manipulating spare magazines to be much, much easier than speed loaders or speed strips for my SP101.  I've had the 43x as well and whiile it is a fine gun it is not as easily concealable as the 43.  Your mileage may vary of course.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Some said I wasted my money, but the 642 still serves a purpose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an M&P 340 that I carry at times, and my alternate to it is essentially a P365X and that could certainly suit your needs well.  Have the shorter barrel but full grip for 12rd mags since all I ever carried it with were the extended mags anyway.  I never could get pocket carry to work well with the regular P365.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
For pocket carry, especially for wanting it light weight: Ruger LCP
I went with the original, not the gen2 because its about 1oz lighter. It will give you 6+1, carry it in a good kydex pocket holster, and it doesn't "flop" around much because its pretty damn light. Also carry a spare 8 round mag (has +2 extension from hyve).

I used to carry a Glock 43 (7+1, it has a 'mag-guts' spring for an extra round in the standard capacity mag).

--But it was much heavier and more odd/noticeable. Yes, I had a co-worker ask me about my heavy pocket as I was walking. Especially in summer-months wearing shorts. Technically it worked great, concealed inside of the pocket fully. But people might notice it more if you work around them daily, seeing some heavy weight flopping in your pocket as you walk... - I would say being out in public/shopping, most folks probably aren't going to care/notice, nor ask about your pocket... If you work in a more 'dressy' environment and keep your shirt tucked in, I would go with the LCP. If you wear thicker jeans and have a more 'permissible' work environment, then a good compact 9mm will work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a Glock 43x early last fall and got some of the Shield Arms 15 round mags.
I'm very happy with that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Carried a g19 for many years, tried a g26 on and off. I won a hellcat which is my current edc
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I normally travel with three handguns.  

Sig P365 for CCW
Glock 19 (set up on a battle belt and paired with my DDM4V7 "pistol" for serious social encounters)
J-Frame .38

I like the J-Frame for those quick runs out to the truck when staying in the hotel.  Yeah, only 5-shots, but it's really a gap-filler between more conventional CCW and go-to-war shit.  I often just needs something to grab and toss in the jacket pocket and the J-Frame is still a top choice.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a die hard snubby guy for years. i carried a model 638 and I loved. As I got older I was having trouble seeing the front sight, so I switched for a hile to a XDS 45. Then in 2019 I switched to the P365. I dont regret that at all. That gun is just as concealeblae as my snubbie but with twice the capacity. I carry a 15 round mag as a back up reload. You wont regret a 365.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
More days than not I carry a Ruger LCR .357. I also carry (and train with) a fixed blade knife. I tend to not go to places I shouldn't. If I know I am going to be in an area that's suspect I carry my G-19.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I was a die hard revolver nut, but transitioned to Glock and never looked back.

My EDC is a G43 and it is an excellent CCW. With a 'Cook's Holsters' IWB holster, worn at 4, I find it very comfortable. It is easily concealed. The G43 is reliable, accurate, safe and adaptable for hand size with mag extensions, if desired. I am far more accurate with a G43 than the snubnose revolvers that I carried.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I switched from a ruger LCR to a sig P365. Its a lot more rounds and carries just as easily.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to carry the baby Glock .380 (I forget the number). The way I carried and holster I used always pushed the mag release. It was annoying to constantly check if the mag was seated properly. Therefore, I went back to a J-frame for EDC.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Evaluating a pistol

5^5^5^5^5 via Claude Werner.

Place a 5 inch circle target at 5 yards. Start with 5 rounds in the gun. At the beep, draw and fire all 5 shots into the circle under 5 seconds.

Repeat this 5 times. If you can't max this, you need a different gun.

Assuming both choices pass this...

Next
Place a target at 5 yards. Use an 8 inch paper plate. Place your camera recording the target.

Start with something in your gun hand.

Carry your weapon as normally concealed.

At the beep explode laterally clearing your gun hand and draw your weapon.

Fire 3 rounds as fast as you can get hits. Run this 6 times with both guns, 3 moving left and 3 right.

Give the most weight to the fastest first hit.That wins about 99.9% of all gunfights.

A box~ of ammo or less for each gun.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I am still a real big fan of my glock 26 and 43. They suck at pocket carry, but I can't figure out how to carry my SW 442 IWB comfortably. The glocks ride IWB very well. I'm not sure how you carry, but get any 9mm glock and carry it where ever is most comfortable IWB, and you will be very happy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am still a real big fan of my glock 26 and 43. They suck at pocket carry, but I can't figure out how to carry my SW 442 IWB comfortably. The glocks ride IWB very well. I'm not sure how you carry, but get any 9mm glock and carry it where ever is most comfortable IWB, and you will be very happy.
View Quote
Ever tried a J in Appendix?

That was the first gun I was able to try that with, and it's ideal for that carry. The cylinder rides at or under the belt, and the curved grip allows

easy access, gripping and drawing.

Even better, you can get good AIWB holsters for under 30,00 for J-Frames.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#35]
My S&W 442-2 always seems to be in my front pocket way more than any of my Glocks, Berettas and 1911’s
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a S&W 9mm Shield and a no dash Model 36 (steel) J Frame. 36 has upgraded (lighter) springs.

I find the Shield easier to shoot in every way. They both point the same. The Shield has much better sights with a longer radius. The trigger is phenomenally better on the Shield.

I shoot a K Frame better than anything else, but the J Frame is a struggle.

The J Frame is only slightly more concealable. I cannot pocket carry the Shield.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got a 642 that basically goes with my anywhere a bigger gun doesn't go.  I bought a G43 with the idea of using it, tried it for awhile and never really transitioned, so the 642 got more time.
Then I got a 43X and was able to get a Shield mag for it, HUGE difference now between the semi and the 642, but still, the 642 is so light and easy to slip into a waistband.  Again, if I'm wearing a belt, then there is a bigger gun in a holster, but when I'm not wearing a belt, it's hard to beat the light weight of the 642.

Especially with the holster grip.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Evaluating a pistol

5^5^5^5^5 via Claude Werner.

Place a 5 inch circle target at 5 yards. Start with 5 rounds in the gun. At the beep, draw and fire all 5 shots into the circle under 5 seconds.

Repeat this 5 times. If you can't max this, you need a different gun.

Assuming both choices pass this...

Next
Place a target at 5 yards. Use an 8 inch paper plate. Place your camera recording the target.

Start with something in your gun hand.

Carry your weapon as normally concealed.

At the beep explode laterally clearing your gun hand and draw your weapon.

Fire 3 rounds as fast as you can get hits. Run this 6 times with both guns, 3 moving left and 3 right.

Give the most weight to the fastest first hit.That wins about 99.9% of all gunfights.

A box~ of ammo or less for each gun.

View Quote

If you can't do that I wouldn't call it the gun's fault.

If you can't do that you need more practice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#39]
43x with shield arms mag.  In the right holster you wont even notice you have it on.  I can conceal it easier than my 26 a lot of times..which seems odd..but it's a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#40]
J-frame makes up 1/3 of my carry battery but is what I carry most of the time.

I like the Kahr P & CW 45, which is the same over-all size of a J-frame but slimmer due to no cylinder.

My other carry is a Commander 1911.

Kahr P & CW45's do well with standard 1911 8 round mags from Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Why switch? Carry whatever suits the situation and manner of dress.

My smallest semi autos are a G19 and a Springfield RO Compact 1911. They don't replace anything in a revolver. They're just other options.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My smallest semi autos are a G19 and a Springfield RO Compact 1911. They don't replace anything in a revolver. They're just other options.
View Quote

Honest answer: George Floyd

My 5-shot SP101 hasn't been carried since the riots started.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Glock 43x with Shield Arms magazines.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I carry a S&W 638 (642 but with shrouded hammer allowing snag free draw and single action let off if precise hit needed) most days but some days I carry a Kahr CW 45.  It is the same overall size of a 638 (snubbie) but thinner due to no cylinder.

It allows me 7 rounds of .45 ACP, a longer sight radius, and much better trigger and mine does fine with Wilson Combat 1911 8-rounders.  Kahrs are not common, think of them as "single stack, high dollar Glock improvements."  

When I want to carry something larger, it's the S&W 1911 SC or PC (roundbutts).  I generally carry those in an Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster.

My Kahr I generally open carry when doing yard work, especially in the ghettos I work in, mowing for elderly widows that can't afford to move out of the sh*thole areas of the city.

When I was younger I was all about small size and high capacity.  In my "later years" (last 10 years) I have not cared much about capacity unless it's a Browning Hi Power but my HP's would need custom work to be for carry.

Most guys these days are all about the Sig 365.  I might would go for the 365 XL but I don't like the triggers and high price.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made that decision around 2003 when we started seeing more terrorist events pop up.

It's rare that a 5-shot, 2" is my primary, but one is more often-than-not my BUG.

This was a primary for a long time:
Attachment Attached File

As were these, until I realized the prices they were commanding:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This Cylinder & Slide-tuned 642 has replaced them:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm the opposite.  Began carry with the mental decision to "carry auto."

After working Stop & Rob gig where pocket carry of a revolver made the most sense, stuck with it most days.

Both designs have their pros and cons.

Be good with what you carry, carry good ammo, have a reload.

Most shoots still done at close range and around 3 shots.

That stated, I am considering adding a weak side holster for a second .38.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to EDC a Colt Magnum, now my EDC is a Beretta Nano. I would also consider the Sig P365 now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For me I found the 26 and 19 concealed basically the same so just went 19. I carried the 19 canted and the 26 straight draw because the smaller grip size so they printed the same.  

The 365 is a huge difference in concealability. I use a black point holster with the wings strong side and it disappears.

Oh and I carry the 15 round p365 reload in my pocket which is a good size. That's 26 rounds. Not bad.
View Quote

+1
this is what I do, however I traded in all my j frames out of stupidity and now i realize there are benefits.  J Frames help out when you have to have weird shots like upside down or super close like arms distance without have any issues like ftf,  stovepipes and etc
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

@SteveJobs

Check this out. This is how I carry my Smith and Wesson 442:

Techna Clip

With a shrouded hammer and a trigger in excess of ten pounds, I don’t feel the need to carry the 442 in a holster. The Techna Clip above slips right over my thinner non-gun belt and pants or shorts and is not super comfortable but reasonably so. If the material is super, super thin then the Techna Clip may not have enough material to prevent it from moving around

Since May of 2020 and the ensuing nation-wide riots I’ve gone from using the 442 as my primary carry gun to hardly ever carrying it. The 442 is for those occasions where I need something smaller because I’m carrying in a non-permissive environment or I’m just running out really quickly. I do carry three speed loaders in a spare pocket on those rare occasions.

I typically carry a Sig P365XL at 4 o’clock in a TT Gunleather XC Slim IWB holster with 2 reloads on weak side. During the cooler months I’ll carry an HK45C in a TT Gunleather XC Slim also at 4 o’clock with 2 reloads on weak side.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
The hot ticket in concealed carry is the 10 shot 9mm.
Sig 365
Glock 43
Hellcat
Ruger Max 9
Taurus GX4

And I heard a rumor H and K is coming out with something along that line.

Power wise they about are equal with your J frame.
But about double capacity.

Your call, no right answer here
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top