Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2013 8:57:00 PM EDT
Okay, got a quick question since I don't feel comfortable with my recent research.  I have an AMD-65 that I would like to switch the barrel extension for a different less concussion creating device.  I know I have to meet NFA requirements of 16" or greater on my rifle but I'm having difficulty understanding one thing (which is where you all come in).  On the rifle there is currently one spot weld holding the current muzzle extension permanently in place.  From reading information online, if I wanted to put a muzzle extension on it needs to have a 180 degree weld, or a blind pin and weld, or four weld points evenly around the device.

Now this is the perplexing part, if I have to follow that standard to be compliant why is there only one spot weld on the rifle now and that was sufficient to ship the rifle from TGI to suppliers?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it is only a spot weld?  It could have been silver soldered or blind pinned and welded over.  Pic's would help to show what you are referring to as a spot weld.  You may find that it will be a little more difficult to remove than simply grinding the weld off, but you never know until you try.   If you are replacing it with a different one just follow the requirements and you will be fine.  If it came from TGI that way I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the ATF test of a "permanent" FH is that if they lock it in a vise and then torque it as much as they can with a hand tool it won't come off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you sure it is only a spot weld?  It could have been silver soldered or blind pinned and welded over.  Pic's would help to show what you are referring to as a spot weld.  You may find that it will be a little more difficult to remove than simply grinding the weld off, but you never know until you try.   If you are replacing it with a different one just follow the requirements and you will be fine.  If it came from TGI that way I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's not blind pinned or silver soldered from the looks.  I'll see if I can snap a quick shot once I get home tonight.  I've also read other people have issues with shooting their AMD-65 and the weld breaking which allowed the removal of the extension.  I personally don't care and think the entire rules are straight stupid but I wanted to make sure if I switch devices I'm within compliance.  I also didn't want to have some nasty welds all the way around my FSB if I didn't have to.

I guess if I really wanted, I should just fill out my paperwork and wait 6+ months for the stamp and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
closer to 8 months now it seems like.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IIRC the ATF test of a "permanent" FH is that if they lock it in a vise and then torque it as much as they can with a hand tool it won't come off.

From the NFA handbook, the requirement on permanently attaching it.  There is no mention of using a vice or hand tool to torque it to see if it comes off.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

I don't see any specific mention of how it needs to be welded, 360 degrees or otherwise.  The most common methods are silver solder and blind pinning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Most if not all of the TGI amds have just the one weld. I've seen countless numbers of them crack (as did mine)

I cleaned off the broken weld, had to shave down the muzzle ever so slightly to get the extension in time, and then silver soldered it with a mapp/oxy torch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the NFA handbook, the requirement on permanently attaching it.  There is no mention of using a vice or hand tool to torque it to see if it comes off.

You ever see an ATF agent test one? This is how they do it around here.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ever see an ATF agent test one? This is how they do it around here.

Have you ever seen the legal requirement for testing?  The law doesn't say anything about how much force or with what set of tools it needs to withstand.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top