Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 1:44:09 PM EDT
Centerfire and scottgull both have them, Centerfires are $35 cheaper. Which are the better kits?

I got my Romy kits from Scott so I'm tempted to order from him again.

What should I do?

BTW I don't care about the wood, this is going to be an AKM with AKS-74 triangle folder and I am using z-recto handguards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd think Scott would probably go the extra mile and get you a nicer kit.

You building up a Khyber Pass AKMS sidefolder?  

That's what I'm thinking, Scott is a good guy.

Yep, I'm going for the Khyber Pass look. I had planned to use a Romy kit, but I figured if I was going to spend the money for a real Russian stock and z-recto laminate HGs, I might as well use a better quality kit, and the Poles are perfect because I don't need the stock.

It'll be my only "pretty" AK...you guys are corrupting me, I thought I'd never own another one.

I saw the Dans kits too, considering them as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?  I'm actually going the other way......I'm going to take the Polish lamaniate off of my Classic and put some Bulgarian black synthetic on.

Yep, really...funny as it sounds...me with a pretty AK...

I just bought some Sako RK95 handguards and retainers, so I am going to buy another Valmet 62 and put the retainers, a B&T Sako rail system, and Galil stock on it. It'll be super-ugly, and should balance out the pretty one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Centerfire and scottgull both have them, Centerfires are $35 cheaper. Which are the better kits?

I got my Romy kits from Scott so I'm tempted to order from him again.

What should I do?

BTW I don't care about the wood, this is going to be an AKM with AKS-74 triangle folder and I am using z-recto handguards.

I would go with either Scott or Dan
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Scott or Dan will do the trick, I have ordered from both with good results.

Now you have me doubting myself. I have Russian wood that I was going to send to Z_Recto to build on a mint Romy kit........now I am thinking that would not be a good idea. Thoughts, ideas?? That wood was not cheap and I want to do it right. If I'm not careful I'll end up spending years around this wood. I just want a Russian AKM clone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?  I'm actually going the other way......I'm going to take the Polish lamaniate off of my Classic and put some Bulgarian black synthetic on.

Yep, really...funny as it sounds...me with a pretty AK...

I just bought some Sako RK95 handguards and retainers, so I am going to buy another Valmet 62 and put the retainers, a B&T Sako rail system, and Galil stock on it. It'll be super-ugly, and should balance out the pretty one.

I have seen some mutts........and there is no such thing as an *ugly* AK (unless it has AR parts - now those are ugly)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
khyber pass ???
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I knew I should have gone back and edited that to say I knew what the Khyber pass was, just didn't know what the types of guns were...

I saw a show on the Special Forces where they were video taping a bunch of Hadji's carry a VW bus over the mountaintops on the backs of camels.  They had disassembled it into it's major components and were smuggling it on foot and hoove...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, I've been to Afghanistan, and seen 'Khyber Pass' Martini Henrys and Enfields first hand. Some of them are completely unmarked, and some have similar markings to an original rifle, even down to a fake year.

There are plenty of real Enfields there too...found a super-nice Long Branch, but of course we can't bring anything back home anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BTW, I've been to Afghanistan, and seen 'Khyber Pass' Martini Henrys and Enfields first hand. Some of them are completely unmarked, and some have similar markings to an original rifle, even down to a fake year.

There are plenty of real Enfields there too...found a super-nice Long Branch, but of course we can't bring anything back home anymore.  

So they are basically just EXACT clones of other rifles?  

I was thinking it was some odd Hybrid created from rebuilding rifles with parts from two different countries and styles, mabye that were stolen or something...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So they are basically just EXACT clones of other rifles?  

I was thinking it was some odd Hybrid created from rebuilding rifles with parts from two different countries and styles, mabye that were stolen or something...

The ones I saw were straight-up copies.

The AK in the picture could have been a scratch-build, or it could have just been parts from two rifles thrown together. No way to tell.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top