Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:42 AM EDT
Just looking at some Valmets lately to add to the AK stable . I love the .223 caliber Ak style rifles and Galils are a little out of my range. Have a  Norinco 84S .223 and might pick up another Chinese .223 but just looking at other options.  

Any issues such as parts breakage or other problems?

I know the bore isnt chrome lined which is a bummer.But I clean all my rifles and dont shoot corrosive stuff anyway.

If you have one how many rounds have you put through it ?

Any other things I should know about the Valmet series of rifles.  

If you could have a .223 AK what would you prefer :
Valmet
Chinese
Bulgarian ?

Thanks  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
the valmet is the best AK type rifle ever made. fit and finnish(no pun intended) it the best there is.

i prefer the M76 with a wood stock. some like the folder but it is just not for me. the M78/83 sniper is a nice piece if kit but they are hard to find.

the only real downfall is that the rfiles are scarce and the mags are non-existant. normal AK mags don't work without some tweeking. factory mags range in price from $50-$200 depending on size and condition. also an M76 may not work in an M71 etc, etc. alot of people buy a gun with 2 or 3 mags then sell of the rifle with just one mag.

for more info try www.valmet.org. it is not a busy site but has alot of info.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the Info .
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the valmet is the best AK type rifle ever made. fit and finnish(no pun intended) it the best there is.

i prefer the M76 with a wood stock. some like the folder but it is just not for me. the M78/83 sniper is a nice piece if kit but they are hard to find.

the only real downfall is that the rfiles are scarce and the mags are non-existant. normal AK mags don't work without some tweeking. factory mags range in price from $50-$200 depending on size and condition. also an M76 may not work in an M71 etc, etc. alot of people buy a gun with 2 or 3 mags then sell of the rifle with just one mag.

I'll lean towards the Galil being the best 5.56 AK, and the Valmet being the best 7.62x39 AK.

But MDN IMO
I would take a Valmet first (( If Price Was Right!))-----If not then here is my rankings.
If not definately a Bulgarain then Valmet then Chinese.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Jake .

Yeah the prices of the Valmets really fluctuate. It wouldnt be bad if you could get some mags with one. But it seems that they all only come with 1 or 2 mags . $1200 - $ 1500 for a rifle then you have to pay $75-$100 per mag.

Well keep the search engine busy and see what turns up.

Just selling  a B/M Modular and would like to get another .223 Ak to replace it.      
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Not one of the guns mentioned above but any word on how the VEPR .223's perform ?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard superb things about the VEPRs in 5.56. Good thing cause ammo is everywhere, but mags will run you more than the average AK47 mag will.
I've got one of the short VEPRs in 7.62x39. It is a great AK, accurate, excellent fit and finish, not alot of recoil on either for a 47.

You just have to get use to the furniture.

The stock and PG are very ergonomical! Feels great in your hand and the handguard is long and can take alot of heat!! Trust me  I use mine as a RPK type AK. Harris bipod and multiple Chicom drums = FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Only negative is you lose that characteristic AK look, I also don't like the sling studs on the rifle. But hey you can mount a Harris Bipod on them very easy so it's a trade off.

Overall they rank high on my list of AKs. I would like to own one in all three flavors
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The Valmet is vastly superior to a regular .223 AK, even an Arsenal. Get the M76, pass on the M71. Make sure you don't get the plastic stock unless you want to replace it. The tube folder looks cool, but cheekweld isn't as good as the wood stock. This may or may not be important to you.

Valmets in .223 are known to break firing pins more often than the average AK. There is a company called Jeff's Outfitters IIRC that makes or has spares. Get a spare. The plastic stocks are fragile, just don't get a plastic stock and you won't have to worry about it. The handguards and pistol grip are made of a different, much stronger polymer. You won't break them. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about parts.

Tony Rumore of Tromix Corp will convert Bulgy waffle mags to fit a Valmet .223 for $20 each or so. Beats the hell out of paying $75-100 for original mags.

I have a Valmet 62 in 7.62x39. I've put about 1K rounds through it since I bought it last winter. It's too pretty though, almost pristine. I need to find a beater 62 for a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info guys .

Checking out Veprs K's in .223 and even 7.62X39 .

Whats the difference between the 71 and 76 Valmets . I would get the wood as the Plastic stocks dont look good and I hear they are cheaply made and crack .

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#10]
For a shooter, I'd get any available AK variants.  I got an M76 folder but somewhat leery about shooting it since parts are non to be had.  I had ordered the firing pin & extractor kit from Jeff's outfitter, but they don't look exactly like the ones in mine so not sure if they'd fit.  The Valmet 223 mags are priced way out there!  I was lucky enough to find 2-30 rounders for $80 a piece
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll lean towards the Galil being the best 5.56 AK, and the Valmet being the best 7.62x39 AK.

But MDN IMO
I would take a Valmet first (( If Price Was Right!))-----If not then here is my rankings.
If not definately a Bulgarain then Valmet then Chinese.

I second this statement.  I have a Valmet M62S, and it is in 7.62x39.........absolutely the cat's ass for AK designs in that caliber (IMHO the only possible rival would be a Polytech Legend); however, in .223, my Galil ARM 372 is definitely the shit......hands down, again, IMHO.  Good luck with your decision....wouldn't it be great if you could just get them all?????   Dare to dream, I guess.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top