Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2009 9:32:37 AM EDT
Somebody school me on refinishing the forearm on my yugo!

I dont want to spend alot of time on it...Just dress it up a bit!

Thanks, Doug
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]

If its not too bad. Try extra fine steel wool with lots of paint thinner to get the dirt and grease off. Let it dry. Repeat. If that works. Sand lightly then spray it with urethane gloss/satin/flat your choice.

If your still not satisfied. Paint stripper/sand/stain then finish with tung oil or urethane.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For a more authentic finish consider using BLO.

There are multiple ways to apply BLO, the one I have adopted is one that I picked up on another gun forum:

1- Clean the wood with mineral spirits or acetone (whichever I have on hand at the time).

2- Sand wood to desired smoothness.

3- One more wipe down with the mineral spirits or acetone.

4- First application of BLO with a lint-free rag or small brush.  After a 10-15 minute wait, I wipe excess BLO from the wood.

5- Allow to dry (no longer tacky to the touch).

6- Light rubbing with 0000 steel wool to remove any surface contaminants and smooth the surface of the finish.

7- Next application of BLO, again wiping excess off after 10 minutes or so.

8- Hit it with the steel wool again.

Repeat steps 7 & 8 as necessary.  I usually go with 5 or 6 applications on the initial run, depending on how dry the wood is.  You can re-apply the BLO as necessary to maintain the finish on the wood.  I usually do it twice a year just to make myself feel good about it.

Carefully dispose of any waste with BLO on it.  BLO is exothermic and has been known to burn houses down if not properly disposed of.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the BLO method as described above and I like the results...

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For a more authentic finish consider using BLO.

There are multiple ways to apply BLO, the one I have adopted is one that I picked up on another gun forum:

1- Clean the wood with mineral spirits or acetone (whichever I have on hand at the time).
4- First application of BLO with a lint-free rag or small brush.  After a 10-15 minute wait, I wipe excess BLO from the wood.
6- Light rubbing with 0000 steel wool to remove any surface contaminants and smooth the surface of the finish.

Repeat steps 7 & 8 as necessary.  I usually go with 5 or 6 applications on the initial run, depending on how dry the wood is.  You can re-apply the BLO as necessary to maintain the finish on the wood.  I usually do it twice a year just to make myself feel good about it.

Carefully dispose of any waste with BLO on it.  BLO is exothermic and has been known to burn houses down if not properly disposed of.  

BLO? whats that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Boiled Linseed Oil
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
4- First application of BLO with a lint-free rag or small brush. After a 10-15 minute wait, I wipe excess BLO from the wood.

Watco Danish Oil/stain.  The stuff is THE best, seriously.  It has some sort of polymers that harden and bond with the wood.  Thank me later

Minwax fine furniture wax - as many coats as you can bear to do.

You will have a better, far more durable finish than it ever had.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

4- First application of BLO with a lint-free rag or small brush. After a 10-15 minute wait, I wipe excess BLO from the wood.

Watco Danish Oil/stain.  The stuff is THE best, seriously.  It has some sort of polymers that harden and bond with the wood.  Thank me later

Minwax fine furniture wax - as many coats as you can bear to do.

You will have a better, far more durable finish than it ever had.

My post concerned the authenticity of the finish, not the durability of it.  So I'll thank you for nothing...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]

I cleaned all the wood pretty well with soap and water,went over mine with some 000 steel wool then used 3 or 4 coats of Formby's tongue oil of the low shine variety.I didn't want them to be all shiny and loose the Yugo battle field look.
I was pleased how they turned out.
You be the judge.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top