Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 7:19:30 PM EDT
Hey guys i just bought my self a Mossin Nagont, a Russian 91/30. I was actually looking for an sks, but i was at the range and i just hapen to see some good condition nagants for $99 bucks so i said what the hell and i got it. Now i was actaully looking for an sks to use as a hunting rifle, but since i already got this one, i was wondering if the nagant was a rifle i could use to hunt with, and if so how accurate is it. Is this a gun i could go out and shoot and not have to worry about it braking on me or is this more of a Gun case quen type of rifle? O and where do i get some 7.63x54 ammo, and i dont really want the surplus stuff, i hear that stuff will eat your gun up in a hearbeat. Thanks in advance for any info/help.

PS: for those of u that followed and helped me in the sks for hunting thread plz know that the sks is still coming, o and i am sorry if this is in the wrong forum i wasnt sure where to post.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mosin is built like a tank you don't have to worry about that, and the corrosive ammo isn't a problem either, I just clean with window cleaner with ammonia, some people use hot soapy water, both ways work. Looks around and you can find some ammo easily surplus or new commercial.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The Nagant will be better for hunting than a SKS by far. The 7.62x54 is close to a 30.06. The rifle is much more accurate than an SKS too. You can get the ammo cheap from wolf and other former USSR nation ammo companies. I would hunt with a Nagant over an SKS any day of the week.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed!
I have come to love MN 91/30's. Have two of them now! Since the ammo is cheaper and more available than SKS ammo, I tend to shoot the MN's more often now.
Got a PSL yesterday too to start having even more fun with that cheap 7.62 x 54r ammo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
so what should i look for should i check the barrel make sure is not corrode it? would a store even sell a rifle like that. I already bought it but havent picked it up yet so let me know what to check for guys. thank you
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so what should i look for should i check the barrel make sure is not corrode it? would a store even sell a rifle like that. I already bought it but havent picked it up yet so let me know what to check for guys. thank you

Yes check carefully, I have seen some places sell barrels that looked like crap. Make sure they bring the rilfe out that they are registering in your name when they do the paper work so you can see what you are buying. I have heard bad stories about big 5 not telling you that you are not getting teh display model
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys so i whent back to the store and checked out the bore of the rifle. IT showed slight rust in some parts but no pitting that i could see, and the rust was limited to what seemd a light coat on the surface, dint seem to penetrate to deep, is that fine or is that something i should walk away from?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious,where is CUB,as in your location
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just curious,where is CUB,as in your location

Cub is sopose to be Cuba i put it in there to trow people off to where i really live but people keep askine me and i keep telling them lol so i think it's time to change it for U.S
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey guys so i whent back to the store and checked out the bore of the rifle. IT showed slight rust in some parts but no pitting that i could see, and the rust was limited to what seemd a light coat on the surface, dint seem to penetrate to deep, is that fine or is that something i should walk away?from?

ok should be fixed now. anyways tell me what u guys think about the above mentioned question
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey guys so i whent back to the store and checked out the bore of the rifle. IT showed slight rust in some parts but no pitting that i could see, and the rust was limited to what seemd a light coat on the surface, dint seem to penetrate to deep, is that fine or is that something i should walk away from?

nobody??
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
You really have to decide for yourself. Shop around if you can.
I bought a 1943 MN 91/30 at a gunshow for just over $101 out the door. All matching numbers. Mint looking bore & chamber. It's been re-arsenaled. Has a very fine and solid stock and the action is smooth and has a very good feeling trigger. It's a fine shooter!

My other one I got with my C&R from Classic Arms. It's a 1930 MN 91/30 hex reciever. First year for them! (The 91/30 model) VG bore and is otherwise excellent. Not marked as a rearsenal job and has a number of neat CCP cartouches on it. One on the stock as well. It's a beaut! Cost was $110 and change delivered.

I'd recommend buying the book on them from "Collectors Only". And gun book store should carry it. Study up on them and shop around. Really nice ones at good prices have never been so available to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You really have to decide for yourself. Shop around if you can.
I bought a 1943 MN 91/30 at a gunshow for just over $101 out the door. All matching numbers. Mint looking bore & chamber. It's been re-arsenaled. Has a very fine and solid stock and the action is smooth and has a very good feeling trigger. It's a fine shooter!

My other one I got with my C&R from Classic Arms. It's a 1930 MN 91/30 hex reciever. First year for them! (The 91/30 model) VG bore and is otherwise excellent. Not marked as a rearsenal job and has a number of neat CCP cartouches on it. One on the stock as well. It's a beaut! Cost was $110 and change delivered.

I'd recommend buying the book on them from "Collectors Only". And gun book store should carry it. Study up on them and shop around. Really nice ones at good prices have never been so available to my knowledge.

hey thanks man apreciate the input, well i think i'll go ahead and get this one, since it seems to be in ok shape use it as a range, maibe hunting once in a while rifle, and then keep looking for a collectible one that i could make into a vault queen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
the mosin is a great value and even using corrosive military surplus ammo should be alright- that is, if you dont mind cleaning your gun alot its cheaper than everything else, and will shoot just as well so dont worry too much about the corrosive stuff, just clean it as soon as you can.

the 7.62x54R round should drop just about anything you can find and it will be a hell of a lot more accurate than any SKS. just take a look at the rifling and compare that and the barrel length to an SKS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks you all for the help i am picking her up tomorrow, so if i can get a hold of a digi cam i'll post a picture.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top