Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:54:28 AM EDT
I want to replace the original non detaching magazine for a removable magazine. I have a Chinese model SKS and was wodering if they make kits for this procedure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC there is no kit.  Just buy the mags for the SKS and all you have to do is remove the internal 10 rnd magazine.  Keep in mind though that the mags you will now be using will have a 2" long lip protruding from the front of the mags so they can "snap" into the rifle.  

I did this years ago to my Russian and switched it back to stock setup due to this reason.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to read thru this SKS thread Linky about magazines for the SKS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to replace the original non detaching magazine for a removable magazine. I have a Chinese model SKS and was wodering if they make kits for this procedure.

Bad idea due to section 922r and the fact that the BATF has deemed it a no-no to put high capacity magazines on an SKS that was not originally equipped to take them.

NOW, I wonder what problem there is if one were to replace the 10 round box with a 5 round detachable "duckbill" magazine for hunting purposes?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, Here is your answer.    This has been a fairly close secret that us "pros" have kept to ourselves....

This is how to add a removeable mag to your SKS......

.........It's called an AK-47.

They come with a removeable mag, and are considered very reliable.   You can pick up a reliable example for around 300-350 right now.   That is only 2 SKS's.

I'm sorry for being a smart ass.   I'm just trying to save you from what I've already done and realized.   An SKS is a simple, fantasitic rifle, that holds 10rds in a compact mag.   It is very reliable when someone doesn't try to make it into an AK.

Keep that SKS as it is.  Buy an AK.   I know, you can't afford one; no problem, shoot the hell out of the SKS, and learn to use stripper clips.   They are fast and reliable.   Save your money, and buy an AK when you can, but don't sell the SKS.   My collection of them just seems to grow, and they go out to the range as much or more than my AK.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
+1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, Here is your answer.    This has been a fairly close secret that us "pros" have kept to ourselves....

This is how to add a removeable mag to your SKS......

.........It's called an AK-47.

They come with a removeable mag, and are considered very reliable.   You can pick up a reliable example for around 300-350 right now.   That is only 2 SKS's.

I'm sorry for being a smart ass.   I'm just trying to save you from what I've already done and realized.   An SKS is a simple, fantasitic rifle, that holds 10rds in a compact mag.   It is very reliable when someone doesn't try to make it into an AK.

Keep that SKS as it is.  Buy an AK.   I know, you can't afford one; no problem, shoot the hell out of the SKS, and learn to use stripper clips.   They are fast and reliable.   Save your money, and buy an AK when you can, but don't sell the SKS.   My collection of them just seems to grow, and they go out to the range as much or more than my AK.

Sage, very sage, I have owned so many SKS variants I can't recite how many, unfortunately now I have none due to my pursuits of the AK/AR world.  Don't sell your SKS.  When the time comes and money is available get that AK, you won't be sorry but keep that SKS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The only sks detachable mags are the duckbill kind that are mostly shit,also you have to beat the imported parts count to be legal.Although tapco is really making it more possible to do so.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top