BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:15:35 AM EDT
tech sights: www.tech-sights.com/

mojo: www.mojosights.com/

willams firesights: www.williamsgunsight.com/rifle1.htm

i have tried the tech sights, they are ok, but make disassembly of the SKS a pain

so how about it, should i try the others?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the mojo,techsite,and the williams peep. the techsite is nice but it does not go back to zero close but not zero. it is also a pain to have to remove it every time you clean the rifle. because of that the mojo is better IMO. the williams feels like a cheap hunk of crap and the elevation screw moves when you shoot so it was a bitch to zero. a drop of nail polish will hold it steady but it should not be that loose. all of them are much better than the stock sites.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Williams rear sight on my Yugo and am real happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not use the Tech because it mounts to the rear of the receiver cover area, and I think we've all gone thorough that with the scope mounts before. Not to mention the added difficulty at cleaning time.  It's also quite a bit more expensive than the Williams.

I currently have the Williams on one of my Yugo's. I have both the front firesight and the rear aperature mounted. I had to use a bit of aluminum foil as a spacer since the rear sight area for the Yugo is very slightly wider than the standard SKS. I double-folded it and placed it under the sight so it folded up on the sides to take up the space. Then I trimmed it with a razor so you can't tell it's there. I am very pleased with the results. My group size at 100 yards with the Williams was half of the size with the original sights (I have bad-lasik eyes). The front firesight is especially helpful.

Never used the Mojo, so I can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I just wanted to point out that the Tech-sight mounts to the receiver and not the cover, this gives it a solid stable mounting position and allows it to return to zero after disassembly. This sight basically gets clamped the the right side of the receiver when the mounting screw is tightened. The only way that the zero can change is if something is caught between the mounting surface of the sight and the place where it contacts the receiver.  Jamie Mangrum did a write up on it at Surplusrifle.com Here is the link www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/skstechsight/index.asp
Here is another review
www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31798&highlight=tech-sights

As far as disassembly goes, it only requires the removal of the cross screw the other adjusting screws are locked in the zero positions at the time of initial installation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would not use the Tech because it mounts to the rear of the receiver cover AREA, and I think we've all gone thorough that with the scope mounts before. Not to mention the added difficulty at cleaning time.  It's also quite a bit more expensive than the Williams.

Please note the word AREA in my post. The site uses the receiver mount pinhole to mount to the rifle, plus four set screws to secure it. I'll let this do the rest of the talking:

Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not use the Tech because it mounts to the rear of the receiver cover AREA, and I think we've all gone thorough that with the scope mounts before. Not to mention the added difficulty at cleaning time.  It's also quite a bit more expensive than the Williams.

Please note the word AREA in my post. The site uses the receiver mount pinhole to mount to the rifle, plus four set screws to secure it. I'll let this do the rest of the talking:
www.tech-sights.com/ts200-1.jpg

Draw your own conclusions.

WHOA!

those look nothing like the ones i got.....is that a newer model or a upgrade or something?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
They have different models. The one I posted was the $59 one which has elevation controls. I think the cheaper one does not, so you couldn't use it with a firesight front.

Here's a pic of the Williams set:

The front doesn't really sparkle like that, but it is extremely visible.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top