Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 9:10:33 PM EDT
Went to a small gun and bait shop today for the first time about ten miles from my house.  Just wanted to see what they had.

The guy had a Yugo SKS with the grenade firing brake, and he had two , according to him, Russian SKS rifles. I asked him about them and he said they were made in the 1950's, and they looked brand new. Very good finish on all of the metal parts and barrel.  They both had underfolding bayonets, cyrrilic
markings, and a star on the receiver. Stocks were very nice looking. The wood had a blonde/walnut
mix coloration and appeared to be sealed in some sort of polyurethane or other lamination.

He was asking $295 each. Is that too much to pay, and do they sound Russian to you. What else
do I need to know or look for in picking an SKS?

He also had a brand new Romanian SAR-1 for sale. If I told you guys how little he wanted for it,
I would be getting IM's for the next three days asking me where this shop is located.  
I ain't telling until I make up my mind if I am going to buy it AND an SKS.

Let me know about the SKS. Thanks.

Herman

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Markings tacked thread for identifying different countries SKSs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a star would make it north korean.  A star with an arrow in it would make it a tula, or russian sks.  Built between 49 and 55.  As far as price goes for a nice one I don't know.  I know here I can get a norinco or yugo sks for 200.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top