Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 5:22:08 PM EDT
Hey all, im looking at getting an sks to keep in my truck. You know, not to pricey if it gets stolen but still enough nuts to take care of business. Ive been looking around and have seen them anywhere from 60 bucks to 300. I figure that AIMSURPLUS.com has what seem like goood ones (Albanian) for about 140. What should i expect on accuracy, reliability, and condition for this price? Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Though not really pricy the Albanian are collectible and probably the rarest of the lot.  The Yugo's are great shooters but don't have a chrome lined bore so would require a bit more care, but no more than any other non chrome lined rifle.  Used chinese would also be good.  Best buy for the money in a shooter right now is probably the yugo and it is certainly one of the most fun and interesting varients out there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, just wondering though, what makes the yugo a better shooter in your opinion? A little tougher? More reliable? thanks again
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yugo is not chrome lined, therefore more accurate.  In addition it is less rare and therefore more likely to be used rather than the more collectible Albanian.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
second the yugo,get it you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen several shooter grade Yugos at the plate shoots I attend.  The blueing is worn, and the stocks appeared used, but the rifles shot great. The ones I've shot seem to have much smoother triggers than the newer ones.  I would think they would make a great truck gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugos rule!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Another Yugo fan. Expect to spend a little time finding out which ammo it likes best though. I found I got pretty big patterns with most of the cheap surplus ammo, but when I switched to some of the newer ammo the groups tightened up just like I knew what I was doing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot mine with Wolf, Barnaul, and Ulyanovsk (? the blue/white boxes in the spamcan), and I found the Barnaul more accurate and cleaner than the others.  For a truck gun tho, I might go with some brass-cased cheap stuff, I worry about the russkie stuff rusting over time if exposed to the elements.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top