Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
Getting a Chinese SKS back from a buddy. Shot a drilled an Tapped SKS back in the early 2000s . I plan to put a 1-4 on it. Yes the SKS has already been refinished (parkerized) so Im not worried about keeping it stock. Is there a certain mount I should go with? I know to avoid top cover mounts. Scope will be a leupold 1-4. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I drilled and tapped a rebuild and now wish I wouldn’t have. While it’s not that big of a deal, I’d like to have the option of making it more stock like.

I went with the pro mag instead of the Choate D/T side mount but they are similar.

I got the mount from Midway...it looks like the pro mag is dc but the Choate is still available.

Choate SKS Mount @ Midway
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Any issues installing? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much trouble really, just make sure you scribe your line level with the bore and use a spring punch to keep the drill from walking.

I think the screws are common enough thread pitch that you can find a drill and tap at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

If you haven’t bought the mount yet, maybe you should look into an AK type solution with a QD feature.

You may be able to use a cheap UTG or medium Red Army Standard or go all out with an RS Regulate.

The issue with that problem is the height and it’s position on the receiver and the interference from the stock.

Also, you scope may interfere with stripper clips. So loading may pose problems.

I really do like those mounts that attach on the rear sight block. I think a small dot like the TRS-25 would work well on an SKS with one of those mounts.

ETA: forget that shit about the AK mount, that’s stupid and a waste of money. I don’t know why I even mentioned it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a bad astigmatism so red dots are out. I have to have a magnified scope or Irons. I thought about the AK rail but after buying the rail system and optic or 1913 adapter it gets crazy expensive to do the same thing the choate scope mount does
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw this recently and thought it looked interesting.  I have never used one, but seems like a solid and reversible option.

CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Im going to avoid the rear pin and front sight . I have tried the rear pin mounts with no luck due to movement . Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a mount out there that replaces the rear cover. It has built in scope rings and an adjustment lug that moves to tighten up the fitment. You turn the screw at the end of the cover and it moves the lug back and forth putting tension on the rear pin. The mount when tension-ed is rock solid.

These are not my pics but, I do have one of these mounts. There are no marking on it so I can not give you any help on were to find one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting piece.

When I scoped mine, I picked up a spare bolt cover, and added some low Weaver mounts.
Tweaked it a little so that it fit tight.
That way, I had the original to go back on.

Never really like it since the mounts came close to blocking a good view of the stock rear sight.
So now I am working on a really low profile picatinny rail, that will be silver brazed onto the bolt cover.

But this damn chinese bio-weapon has slowed me way down. Been nearly a month, but I am on the up-swing.
So Fuck You china, it didn't stop this armed American !

Will post some pictures in a thread when it's done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Main had a welded rail on the back piece ready for a scope mount, it came like that but then again is not a "true" sks since it takes AK mags straight up. Weird but awesome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Still looking around. Toying with threading and a can depending on how things go. Optic will def be a leupold pig plex
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still looking around. Toying with threading and a can depending on how things go. Optic will def be a leupold pig plex
View Quote
Tapco forward mount, very carefully fitted is rock solid, and allows use of iron sights if low-profile RDS is removed.

NCStar unit is a lot more common than the Tapco.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish. I cant use RDS because of astigmatism . Currently thinking about getting the Choate from midway for 50 and a choate cheek riser
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish. I cant use RDS because of astigmatism . Currently thinking about getting the Choate from midway for 50 and a choate cheek riser
View Quote
There are prism type optics which are friendly to folks with astigmatism.  They work the same as typical RDS, BUT require a certain eye-relief, like conventional optics.  IIRC, Primary Arms has some.  No doubt, others.  DO shop around!

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, go price your SKS @ a local gun show or on GunBroker before you go tapping the receiver.  Recently sold my untapped SKS for $500 in an aftermarket stock.

You might be better off building a 7.62x39mm AR and running UniMags.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
SKS scout scope is what you seek
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, go price your SKS @ a local gun show or on GunBroker before you go tapping the receiver.  Recently sold my untapped SKS for $500 in an aftermarket stock.

View Quote
Just might be some good advice here.

A Mini-30 might also be an alternative.  They have a much thicker/more accurate barrel than the very old "Pencil-barrel" Mini-14s.  Not cheap, nowadays, but out there...

Minis are very popular in some States where ARs and similar rifles are banned.  Hence the high price for them.

I have a nice '52 Tula Russki SKS.  I made certain that all the changes I have made to it are completely reversible.

It's ridiculous how much unmolested SKS rifles, in good condition, are selling-for nowadays.  Then again, this can be said for most any firearm.

Bottom Line:  If contemplating irreversibly modding any firearm, consider that an "un-modified" version of the same firearm might well be more valuable in the future.

Example:  A nicely-done sporterized 1903 Springfield will likely fetch far less than a decent, unmolested 1903, despite all the work/money lavished on the "Sporter" version.  Same with most firearms.  Seen it many times over the decades.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SKS scout scope is what you seek
View Quote
I'm a Scout scope/Forward optics fan, but with the SKS platform, and the railed fore-end being relatively far away from the shooter's eye, some care will need to be taken to ensure the scope/optic will work.  IOW, the "eye pocket" for any forward-mounted optic MUST be viable, with the exception of RDS.  OP says he has astigmatism, so typical RDS are out.  Not saying forward-mounted optic for OP is at all impossible, but will take some work/investigation.  Cantilever scope/optics mounts, angled rearwards, are a possibility.  QD, if at all possible, please.

Prism optics might be a viable alternative for OP.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The rifle has been parkerized .... yes parked and the stock sanded so its not a collector. Just a good Norinco . Ive had 700 dollar tulas and shitty 150 buck chinese sks a few times. Wont hurt me to scope it. I plan on shooting it a lot and I feel with my eyes I cant really shoot it well without higher magnification. I shoot irons really well but I have a bunch of Iron sighted milsurps . Looking at getting a 30 cal can also so this would be a nice project for that too

I considered the AR/Mini route but that is really going to go over what I want to spend. Im looking at 50 bucks for the scope mount at midway and a decent leupold for 2-300 . If I got 500 for the SKS I still would be looking at a significant price difference . I really like the SKS. And if I dont like the scope I can put another stock on it and remove the mount
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Just an idea. Their stuff will keep with a traditional Warsaw Pact type mount and look but give you the option of using almost any type of optic.

Kalinka Optics
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#20]
i have a SKS M that takes the AK Mags that ive grown bored with , it had the thumbhole stock when i bought it some years ago , i then picked up a D stock which is more of a Monte Carlo style  , i just bought a  Pro Mag Arch Angel for it today (ordered)

so a couple days ago i started researching a facelift for it ,and this is the mount im considering , it makes no lasting alterations , not removing sight parts to get lost,and reviews say its solid  , also has the deflector  ,and i find it appealing aesthetically

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-sks-receiver-cover-mount.html

fella on another board said he did the same with the stock and it dropped in , the stock SKS trigger/mag assembly is like 2 1/4 longer (if i remember correctly) so he said the plow is empty for the 2 1/4 inch past the AK magwell , i figure i will just fab a plate to drop in and finish it off , no one makes a aftermarket stock for a M or D rifle

if i land on this rail i will definitely follow up with a report , still deciding if i want a red dot or magnification , i prefer the Dot but have several already

but im with the one fella , i would try and refrain from  drill and tap your rifle
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to finish an AR build before Jan 20 and will return to this next. Curious to see where this goes
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top