Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2012 11:05:04 PM EDT
Good question for you guys (and gals if applicable). I've got 20+ 10 round stripper clips for my SKS and still have my original 10 round fixed box mag in the parts bin, but right now I've got it setup to run 20rd Tapco detachable magazines. I have the T6 (older generation) stock on it and I'll admit it looks pretty slick with those 20rd magazines in it but they're just kinda cumbersome to use. Keep in mind that I've never had a failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to lock back on the last round, or jam while using the Tapco 20 rounders. But I'm thinking I might like the fixed 10 rounder better because of the ability to load partially thru a magazine and just because you can easily rip 10 rounds from a stripper clip off into it and fire away which you can't do with the Tapco mags unless you fight with em like a grizzly bear.

What do y'all think? Keep the Tapco mags in it or swap back to the factory 10 round fixed mag which is serialized to the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both 10 and 20 round mags. I prefer the original 10 rounds myself, but tht is just me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to use strippers with your Tapco 20's, do a Google search on how to make them work with stripper clips. It involves taking some material off the back end of the feedlips. Can't remember which forum I saw it in off the top of my head, but they had some pretty detailed instructions. I will be doing this soon myself as soon as I get the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you want to use strippers with your Tapco 20's, do a Google search on how to make them work with stripper clips. It involves taking some material off the back end of the feedlips. Can't remember which forum I saw it in off the top of my head, but they had some pretty detailed instructions. I will be doing this soon myself as soon as I get the time.

This...

You mod the mags a little it works well, I also keep the strippers a little oily, mine push in there better than the stock mag...
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I swapped back to the factory fixed 10rd mag but it just looks goofy with the T6 stock on the rifle. I put the 20rd Tapco mag back in it and will probably just relieve a little material off the back of the feed lips so I can load the magazines with stripper clips if I want a quick reload.

Thanks for the input guys!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top