Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2010 10:42:12 PM EDT
My sks-m feeds and fired GREAT with the tapco 20 round mags. As for the 5 round Promag not so much. Infact the promag is so far off it slams the tip of the round into the steel face under the chamber/barrel.

Id really like some detachable 5 round mags for the rifle. It just carrys and feel better with them then a big stick hanging off of it. Its a nice light little rifle etc. Are all promags so bad or am I just lucky?

Does anyone make another 5 round AK mag?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
steel chinese ak mags, 5 or 10 rd mags use the same body  but different followers.

Bulgy metal and plastic 5 & 10rd mags also.  

SKSMAN.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
steel chinese ak mags, 5 or 10 rd mags use the same body  but different followers.

Bulgy metal and plastic 5 & 10rd mags also.  

SKSMAN.com

Thank you very much for that link. I have been looking for steel 5 rounders for a while and a lot of places are trying to get 30 bucks for them, these are just $10. I just ordered one (to hunt with) and a fiberglass SKS jungle stock (only $20). Good deal
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much for the link!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not forget to play the 10 or less game with 922r compliance or the rifle will be illegal.....

ONLY IF THE RIFLE IS A NON M or D MODEL
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
So if the rifle was legally imported , sold in this country legally. It can still be ILLEGAL due to 922R?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So if the rifle was legally imported , sold in this country legally. It can still be ILLEGAL due to 922R?

Legally imported in its original configuration, once you start putting on US made parts it is no longer legal unless you follow 922r rules......
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally imported in its original configuration, once you start putting on US made parts it is no longer legal unless you follow 922r rules......

You lost me here. I thought keeping the inported parts count under 10 was how you stayed 922 compliant. since this is a model M that already takes AK mags How could replacing inported parts, in this case a  magazine with US made reduced capacity magazine get you out of 922 compliance?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
.......................  See answer below
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
so wait using US made mags is illegal in my rifle but import mags are ok?????????/ Im so freaken confused now
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so wait using US made mags is illegal in my rifle but import mags are ok?????????/ Im so freaken confused now

So where do I get US made parts for an SKS-M no one seems to sell a normal monte carlo type stock for them
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
............ See answer below
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW stay away from promag products for the SKS......
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I am the type of person who admits when he is wrong, so here it goes....  The info here may not be correct for the M or D model and the reason why is because you are not putting a high cap mag on a standard SKS...  You are putting a low capacity mag on a SKS, if I may suggest post this question on the SKS legal section of www.sksboards.com hopefully LetSchwartz will respond......  If you do post it their, please post the answer here....

Added:

Make sure that you state you want to put a USA made mag on a SKS-M....  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads up. Ill head over there.

From reading the FAQ section in legal it doesnt seem to matter since its a pre ban rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up. Ill head over there.

From reading the FAQ section in legal it doesnt seem to matter since its a pre ban rifle anyway.

I believe you are reading it incorrectly, pre-ban on the high cap mag that you have with the M

My SKS is “pre-ban”, I don't care about any of this, do I?

Generally, a rifle that was approved for import and sale continues to be legal. However when you modify an existing rifle, ATF considers you to be assembling a new rifle for legal purposes. So “pre-ban” only applies to the grandfather of existing firearms, not the modification of existing firearms.

There is also much confusion that stems from the fact that there is more than one “ban” that applies to the SKS: One from 1989 (which was later modified in 1998) and the 1994 AW Ban. The 1989 Ban applies to imported (over 10 foreign parts) rifles. The AW Ban applies to US-made rifles as well. When folks talk about “pre-ban” they can mean either. “Pre-ban” typically applies to the “grandfather” of existing firearms. When you modify a firearm, it must to conform to current law—that's why “pre-ban” doesn't mean too much.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a rifle that accepts detachable magazines built to do such I did not modify anything. Does this problem occur  with AKs , FALs , HKs also?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
When SKSman.com comes back up im ordering some commie mags and being done with it. Im not going to try and figure out their bullshit anymore. its not worh the head ache. Ill just throw the tapco mags out or give them away. I really have better things to waste my life on anyway
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a rifle that accepts detachable magazines built to do such I did not modify anything. Does this problem occur  with AKs , FALs , HKs also?

Yes, AK's are not imported anymore, they import Saiga's and to turn it into a AK you must play the game, all you have to do is ask on that site, as a matter of fact Les (Larry) was answering questions in the legal section at that time.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When SKSman.com comes back up im ordering some commie mags and being done with it. Im not going to try and figure out their bullshit anymore. its not worh the head ache. Ill just throw the tapco mags out or give them away. I really have better things to waste my life on anyway

BL, apparently I am wrong about my first few statements see below,

The question was about the opposite, the person has a M and has 2 5 round mags and wants to put a 30 round on....

If he adds a mag of more than 10 round capacity does he 'alter' the original rifle therefore making it subject to 922r?

Answer from Les:

No.  922(r) focuses one the ability to use high capacity magazines, not the capacity of the magazine which happens to be in use.  Since he is already is able to use AK magazines, the capacity changes nothing for 922(r) purposes.

So you are good to go with either a M or D models only............
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats kinda what I figured being it was designed , shipped and imported as a rifle with a detachable magazine.  Thank you very much for the follow up!!!!  

BTW I didnt want to put a 30 on anything. I had a dozen 20s I didnt even use. The  5 round mag is what I want to run but mine is junk and fails to feed and two US made 20 round mags that work fine.  I just wanted to buy a few more 5 round mags and was linked to them.

The whole to do came about because im using US made mags and somone thought that would effect 922R for the rifle.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thats kinda what I figured being it was designed , shipped and imported as a rifle with a detachable magazine.  Thank you very much for the follow up!!!!  

BTW I didnt want to put a 30 on anything. I had a dozen 20s I didnt even use. The  5 round mag is what I want to run but mine is junk and fails to feed and two US made 20 round mags that work fine.  I just wanted to buy a few more 5 round mags and was linked to them.

The whole to do came about because im using US made mags and somone thought that would effect 922R for the rifle.

Glad I could help, I hate when I post incorrect info and you made me think about it. I keep getting the standard SKS mixed with the M's & D's....  The problem with your other 5 round mags is it is made by ProMag, they are junk you should not have any problems with the Tapco ones...

I founds these 5 round mags on AK47 world original Norinco 5 Round Mags  $10 each.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah that promag ( I think its a promag) came with the rifle. Its so far off when it trys to feed it slams the tip of the bullet UNDER the barrel into the steel I guess barrel lug or what ever you want to call it.

The tapco mags ran flawless as do beat up surplus 30 rounders.

Thanks again for the input and info
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top