Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 11:09:39 AM EDT
Hello, new to the site. I have a MAADI AK-47, purchased it a few years ago now.

I noticed the fit/finish on mine is ok, but there are 3 things left to be desired.

Since I bought it during the ban, I am missing the Bayo lug, and mine came without a flash hider or muzzle break.

I read up on a previous post how to take off the front site, (good article with pictures BTW) which could take care of the last issue (front site was pinned on crooked).

Since mine is a Century Arms MISR ( which I think stands for misery), but accepts hi-cap mags and has a pistol-grip, after some reading I found out they "turned off" the threads.

I'm wondering a couple things:

1. Is it worth while to get a parts kit with preban barrel assy? (all legalities aside)
2. How hard would it be to replace the barrel assy? (I was told that they barrel is sweated into the reciever) Assume I have no knowledge of the parts, but am mechanically inclined.
3. What parts kits would be compatible (I realize the milled reciever ones wouldn't work as mine is a stamped reciever).

Anyone have any experiences? I appreciate any help!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
No dice??? Anyone replaced the barrel assy? (or know how to?)

Anyone know what parts kits are compatible?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
yes it is worth doing. I had my century Maadi MISR fitted with a Romanian chrome lined barrel. You can see my post in the Maadi picture thread on the second page. I sent it to someone and they pressed out the neutered barrel and replaced it with the Romanian chromelined unit that was like new. I scrubed the Big Red G off of the rear sight tower and  after the whole thing was reparked It looks just like it is supposed to. I did have new compliance parts added to mine to insure I stayed legal and recomend you do the same I can recomend a great smith for the job also.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sharp,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the post on the pic thread. Your Maadi looks great! Just a quick couple questions (you can IM me the info if you like) ... did your smith provide the parts? What did the parts cost, what did the labor cost , did you get the threads on the barrel assy? did you get a bayo lug with it?

Also could you please forward your smiths info? Sounds like you had an outstanding experience, nothing better that that!

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
IM sent to you with details.
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top