Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 8:07:32 AM EDT
 I really want to buy a Saiga-12 to go along with my AK's.  I have only seen the 22" Saiga-12 for sale and I want to purchase one.  Is there a way to cut the barrell down to 18" for use as a home defense gun/tactical shotgun?  I would really like to get a hold of a Saiga-12C but they are too expensive.  

I have read about the conversion process and I know that I could do it relatively easily.  I have seen Saiga-12's listed for $250 NIB and I know an FFL that can get me a deal on one.  So basically I just want a Saiga-12 converted to 18" with pistol grip and new stock.  Can it be done on the cheap?  

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You probably want to have a 'smith handle the cut and crown on the barrel, unless you have experience doing such things yourself. The rest of the conversion is fairly straightforward and can be accomplished with basic tools (drill, dremel, etc), although if you have a shop setup (drill press, belt grinder, etc) it will go faster and the end result will look better. I did note, though, that many of the conversion procedures available on the 'net apply to the Saiga rifles, and will need to be modified somewhat for the shotguns.

You'll need to purchase a US-made FCG and pistol grip and the AK stock of your choice, to maintain 922(r) compliance in the converted firearm. Other than that, your only expenses will be in time and labor.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
 So there is no way to cut the barrell down without screwing up the spread?  Hmm...  I have also seen that the barrell can be fitted with a screw on choke.  Is the end of the barrell threaded on the inside?

I guess I will have to find a professional that would be willing to shorten a shotgun barrell to 18 or 20 inches.  Do you think that will be hard to find?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 I really want to buy a Saiga-12 to go along with my AK's.  I have only seen the 22" Saiga-12 for sale and I want to purchase one.  Is there a way to cut the barrell down to 18" for use as a home defense gun/tactical shotgun?  I would really like to get a hold of a Saiga-12C but they are too expensive.  

I have read about the conversion process and I know that I could do it relatively easily.  I have seen Saiga-12's listed for $250 NIB and I know an FFL that can get me a deal on one.  So basically I just want a Saiga-12 converted to 18" with pistol grip and new stock.  Can it be done on the cheap?  

Thanks.  

www.cdnninvestments.com

22" barrel, adj sights for $229
22" barrel, fixed sights for $199

The only ones i've seen available are Full Choke
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 So there is no way to cut the barrell down without screwing up the spread?  Hmm...  I have also seen that the barrell can be fitted with a screw on choke.  Is the end of the barrell threaded on the inside?

I guess I will have to find a professional that would be willing to shorten a shotgun barrell to 18 or 20 inches.  Do you think that will be hard to find?

www.saiga12.com (ARFCOM for Saiga Shotguns)

The most popular mod is to have the barrel cut down & threaded for Remmington's RemChoke system (eg so it uses 870 choke tubes)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
For $499 you can buy a converted Saiga-12 (US pistol grip, black bulgy buttstock, bbl cut to 18.5", gas port opened a tad to compensate for the shorter bbl, completely refinished in DuraCoat) from Elite Firearms out of Hurst, TX. Supply your own buttstock & pistol grip (like I did) and total cost shipped is $480. Check out my reports:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=64972
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=65003
I don't see why the bbl couldn't be threaded for RemChokes after it's been shortened but mine puts all 9 '00' into a 4" circle at 10yds, that's plenty tight for me.
Tomac
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top