Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 4:23:10 AM EDT
My dealer has a 7.62x39 sporter SAIGA for real cheap. I understand about adding the feedramp for AK mags, but is there any way to add a pistol grip without going through the whole "move the fire control group" conversion? If I buy this, I didn't want to do a lot of work to it. Does anyone make a "Thumbhole-type" stock for it?

Should I just stick with SAIGA mags?

Should I just wait and buy semi AK?

I'm definitely not new to shooting, just to the AK world.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Would adding a thumbhole on the default firearm AND converting to hicaps violate import laws?  Anyone have info on that?

The thing with the moving the pistol grip, besides making the firearm 100% compatible with AK furniture/look, is it lets you install US made parts and beat the 10-or-less game so that the rifle is legal for a host of mods.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The study that this ruling was based on
www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm
concluded that a thumbhole stock is the same as a pistol grip and a imported semi auto rifle with one would not meet the "sporting perposes" provision of the 1968 Gun Control Act. Only one model of imported semi auto rifle is exempt from it the Russian model VEPR rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a semi-auto AK I was told to change the stock in this case is illegal, it is also illegal to modify it to accept high caps.  Now that the aw ban is gone at least till the next majority Democrat Congress and Senate(GO VOTE). I think you will see these rifles drop off in availability as they are now allowed to redistribute the rifles people really want without stupidass restrictions.  Unless of course these $200 lo-cap plinkers are selling better than I thougt?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Does that law apply anymore since the ban is dead "sporting purposes" I had never heard of it till now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top