Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:18:27 AM EDT
Does anyone know where to find RPK barrels? I saw some 24" RPK-74 barrels for sale on K-var, but I'm interested in new hammer forged chrome lined heavy-barreled 24" RPK-47 barrels (7.62x39), if such beasts are available??
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
:(

I was wondering if anyone was making high-quality Russian barrels that would work in my VEPR. I'd like a 20" or 24" barrel but with the same build quality as my current 16" VEPR K.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I know of a guy who has built new RPK barrels in the US (it counts as a US part ). I've been thinking of approaching him on a group buy, but I have no idea what it may run per barrel. Who all might be interested? I'll contact him and see what the price may be and how many we would have to buy to get a good price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok that was fast bad news, he says that the RPK barrels are a real pain in the ass to produce. He's not interested in mass producing them in any number. I guess we have to wait for more (better) kits to come in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a shame. I guess everyone wants uber thin AK barrels that are prone to distortion and barrel whip when firing :(

The RPK barrels are much thicker (at least the VEPR barrels are thicker) and are less prone to distortion and barrel whip - which is probably why they're more accurate (VEPRs at least).

I wanted a 20" or 24" barrel for more long range bullet stability, I'm shooting through a 16.5" VEPR K in 7.62x39 - although I heard a thick and short barrel is probably the stiffest you can go. Confusion!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top