Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:06:58 PM EDT
Considering these have been out for quite awhile now... What's the skinny?

I read original reports several months ago about them being total crap, almost not working.

Could owners sound off on:
1) Reliability
2) Mag wobble
3) Accuracy

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck that, wasrs are tight. mine works well but is a 7.62 model. Theyremakin em better now
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The 2's have some issues, and the 3's have a crap load of issues (poorly fitted/incorrect parts), but they can be brought up to speed with tinkering.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for a SAR-2 or a SAR-3 on the '4-sale boards. True military receivers.
You will be happy with yourself in the long run.

Just my lousy 0.02
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a wasr 2 and 3 and they both functioned great out the box, just as well as my mk2 and my sar 3, plus easy to thread 14 by 1 as they have thicker barrels then the sar models.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a WASR-3 that only had an issue with Century filing the mag catch down too much. Built it up just a bit with a weld, filed to shape, and it hasn't missed a beat since using Weiger mags.

I'm still trying to determine its accuracy. It looks to be in the 2-3 MOA range so far, but I won't know for sure until I get some decent 1" rings for my scope.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm still trying to determine its accuracy. It looks to be in the 2-3 MOA range so far, but I won't know for sure until I get some decent 1" rings for my scope.

Be sure to update us, Im interested!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I had 2 wasr-3's and was very impressed with them, sold them because I was able to get a SAR-3 (after having both, I'd have to say there's not a lot of difference in the guns except dimples and end of barrel) ,I never shot 1 in NIB shape ,and I shot the crap out of the other, it was very accurate , cycled fine, a little wobble at mag but not bad, and with the scarceness of SAR-3's , 7.62 & 5.45 ammo ,wasr-3 is a great little rifle for the money and comes with a scope mount.
I love to be able to take my AR and AK to the range and carry one can of ammo, I also like that with the lower recoil my kids can shoot the .223 ak and have fun,
better choices in ammo, more consistant ammo, more readily available ammo ,ammo made here in the US ,etc.
My personal opinion is that if you can't find a SAR-3 now and want a .223 AK try to get a wasr-3 and enjoy it!, and when you are able to snag a SAR-3, do it quickly because they don't last long.
As I have seen lately wasr-3's are getting even hard to get, I sold my wasr -3 in a matter of hours on the EE,and I waited a couple month's to find my SAR-3 at lunch time one day on the EE and there were a couple and all got bought very fast! you can still look it up in the EE and see for yourself !. eitherway if you want one , you won't go wrong and will surely be sought after in the future if not already!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
My Wasr-3 has been reliable through the last 400 rounds without any cleaning. Accuracy has been 2.5 MOA with Wolf 55 grain fmj and a scope...... I am glad I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
What about mags?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about mags?

Avoid WASR 3s due to mags.  My WASR 2 runs flawless granted it is a little rough in overall finish though.  They win no beauty contest but they work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about mags?

Avoid WASR 3s due to mags.  My WASR 2 runs flawless granted it is a little rough in overall finish though.  They win no beauty contest but they work.

Please explain? I know several to have bought 3's with no real problems, these are great rifles ,as good as any WASR-2 (same damn gun, different caliber)and the mags are very readily available! InterOrdnance has a deal of 4-30rd E.German .223mags ,cleaning kit, and mag pouche for $39.99, and I have bought several and all function perfectly, the only problem I have faced is the bakelite .223 converted mags, if it does'nt have the .223 follower it probably won't feed right, other than that , NO problems. WASR-3's are actually better as far as ammo availability goes! So why Avoid?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I read somewhere that the 5.45 followers can be modified.  Can't remember how though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some Robinson Armament modified bakelite mags, and they don't work right with my WASR-3- I was experiencing consistent bolt-over failures using them. The magwell dimensions would have to be different in order to use them and I'm pretty sure the changes needed would then cause the Weiger mags to not function correctly.

I think the Weigers are better mags anyway- they fit in M16 pouches.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have some Robinson Armament modified bakelite mags, and they don't work right with my WASR-3- I was experiencing consistent bolt-over failures using them. The magwell dimensions would have to be different in order to use them and I'm pretty sure the changes needed would then cause the Weiger mags to not function correctly.

I think the Weigers are better mags anyway- they fit in M16 pouches.

What he said. Same goes for SAR-3's. Stick with WIEGERS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Wasr2 and the only problem I have is with the mag being a bit wobbly. Reliability and accuracy is excellent and I don't have to treat it as though I paid $700 dollars for it (no, I don't mistreat it but I do give the TLC to my Bulgarian AKS-74). Add those brown German bakelite mags with a sling and you have one cool looking AK that is ready to go to hell and back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, okay, 'wiegers'.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top