Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:12:57 AM EDT
I finally got the gun out of the box. Century sold the gun i bought. It has, oiler, leather sling, 2 30 round mags, and bayonet. The metal finish was much better than I expected. The laminate wood is the usual. I took a before shot,
and I'm going to start the furniture sanding today. Their ain't a whole lot of oil to remove  

Advice please. This is my first Ak and it looks like all the wood is held in place by a brass pin. Are they a near to get out? I really think I could tape the metal and not have to remove the wood, so I need you guys help on that issue
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
By "wood is held in by a brass pin" you mean the cross pins in the buttstock I would NOT attempt to drive them out. They simply reinforce the laminate layers and are not connected to the receiver in any way. To remove the buttstock you need to remove the two wood screws on the tang and under the dust cover where the wood fits into the rear of the receiver.

That wood looks pretty good As-Is! Sure you want to refinish it?  Maybe shoot it awhile to see if it grows on you. When I got my first SAR-1, I intended to refinish the wood, enamal the metal and really make it look pretty. After shooting it for a few years I have really become attached to it's "ally-cat" looks.

Its a little like dating a fat-chick. You don't really want your friends to see you with her, but when it comes to the love'n she performs everyway you want her to!

(no offense to fat chicks)

Check out the thumb-tacked threads at the top of the Romanian page. Truly, a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
What did you pay for that, if you don't mind me asking?

Just wondering, because I may get one down the road.  I been seeing them go for the $300.00 price range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#3]

By "wood is held in by a brass pin" you mean the cross pins in the buttstock I would NOT attempt to drive them out. They simply reinforce the laminate layers and are not connected to the receiver in any way. To remove the buttstock you need to remove the two wood screws on the tang and under the dust cover where the wood fits into the rear of the receiver.

+1

Don't touch the brass pins. Remove the dust cover and you'll see what you have to do. Once you get the wood screws out, you may need to use something like a large, blunt, screw driver to get the wood out from within the rear of the receiver. I actually had to use a large punch with a bunch of tape on the end to insulate the tip so as to prevent splitting of the wood. Then I rammed the punch down on my work bench a few time to get the stock out. Be careful.

I'm with Mak, however. That AK looks great. Very nice compared to the HomeDepot landscape timber quality wood that you usually see on these. I'd polish that wood up with some oil and let her run just like she is....but that's just me. Dig what you dig brother..
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the help. that gun was $360 + tax. my dealer adds 10% to cost of gun, then adds shipping & tax. it tok a month to get. he said the full accs. kits are going fast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Please let us know how it shoots when you do shoot it.

Also, how does the trigger feel?

Thanks - nice looking AK!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top