Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:15:02 PM EDT
Links?  K-var didn't seem to have em....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep you eyes open on the EE and other classified forums. They're out there you just gotta be there when they pop up

Gook Luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I..uh..I picked one up a while back on ebay.

No kidding.

I even emailed the vendor to offer to buy more, but I got his last one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been able to get 2 Romanian and 2 EGerman over the past 6 months off this site. Just keep an eye out for them
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bob at Akron armory has been advertising some at Gunco
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bob at Akron armory has been advertising some at Gunco

Could you provide the link or the location on their forums?

EDIT, never mind, I found it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Is 79.95 a good price for these?  Doesn't K-Var usually sell these for 69.95?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my E-german last week for $77 delivered and feel that was a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am guessing East German has much better quality than a Romanian?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And why would you think that?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not; but Germans are known for their superior engineering.  Romanians are known for.......well, the WASR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not; but Germans are known for their superior engineering.  Romanians are known for.......well, the WASR.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.  While I don't have any experience with WASRs, I would like someone to definitively state why the quality of a Romanian "G" kit is less than that of any other kit.  Is the quality of the steel used inferior?  I've never heard anyone give an explanation as to what exactly is inferior except for some possible machining marks.  The Polish AK kit I got had chrome flaking off in some spots inside the barrel.  I've yet to see a Romanian kit have this problem.  As far as German engineering, yes, I would say that prior to and after the cold war years, Germany (West Germany during the cold war years) produced very well made products.  I don't think you can say the same about East Germany however.  It's not as though East German AKs and folding stocks were made by Heckler and Koch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.  While I don't have any experience with WASRs, I would like someone to definitively state why the quality of a Romanian "G" kit is less than that of any other kit.  Is the quality of the steel used inferior?  I've never heard anyone give an explanation as to what exactly is inferior except for some possible machining marks.  The Polish AK kit I got had chrome flaking off in some spots inside the barrel.  I've yet to see a Romanian kit have this problem.  As far as German engineering, yes, I would say that prior to and after the cold war years, Germany (West Germany during the cold war years) produced very well made products.  I don't think you can say the same about East Germany however.  It's not as though East German AKs and folding stocks were made by Heckler and Koch.

Indeed not, but all things being equal, if given the choice to blindly purchase a car from a East German or Romanian manufacturer, which would you pick?  

I really can't think of any stereotype for Romanians, but as for Germans attention to detail is certainly one of them.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd seriously pick a pre-89 Romanian Dacia over an East German Trabant.  Trabant is considered one of the worst cars ever produced.

Trabant:

Pre-89 Romanian Dacia:

New Romanian Dacia (Dacia was recently bought out  by Renault.  Trabant is in the dustbin of history):
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy driving the red car is DEFINATELY a Romanian.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I liked the Romanian pushbutton, didn't like the lever type.  K-VAR hasn't had then for a long time.  You pay what the seller wants if you want one.  They aren't $30.00 anymore and won't be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I liked the Romanian pushbutton, didn't like the lever type.  K-VAR hasn't had then for a long time.  You pay what the seller wants if you want one.  They aren't $30.00 anymore and won't be.

Mine was.  Actually it was a few dollars under $30.

I even got paypall to cover some of the shipping costs.

Oh, as for the Romy verses EG debate, many people prefer the push button of the Romy to the EG lever.  Also, many people complain that the EG folding mechanism is a PITA if anything goes wrong with it.  It's a more complex mechanism.  The Romy is also easier to install.

The only times the EG gets higher marks is that the finish is supposedly a little nicer.  Of course, unless you prefer a cold-steel cheek weld, that point is moot since many people wrap paracord around the stock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, as for the Romy verses EG debate, many people prefer the push button of the Romy to the EG lever.  Also, many people complain that the EG folding mechanism is a PITA if anything goes wrong with it.  It's a more complex mechanism.  The Romy is also easier to install.

The only times the EG gets higher marks is that the finish is supposedly a little nicer.  Of course, unless you prefer a cold-steel cheek weld, that point is moot since many people wrap paracord around the stock.

How were you able to pay $30???
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How were you able to pay $30???

The Ebay auction "buyout" price was less than $30.  So naturally I was all over it like ugly on an ape.  With shipping it was just over $35, but using a coupon code I got paypal to cover much of the shipping costs.  My guess is that the dealer didn't know about the current prices for this stock.  He only had one (darn it, I would have bought any others he had) and was just trying to move inventory.

Edited to add:  Considering the price, I half expected the stock to be broken or one of the spot-welded ones floating around during the AWB.  However, the stock arrived yesterday and is in perfect working order.  Funning thing is that I can tell that one of its previous owners was a smoker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my romy sidefolder about 11/2 years ago for $40 bucks ,works well to, but I for one would rather have a East German I just dont like the folder button on the romy. I was at a gunshow in November and I got to play with a German stock and I do like the swich a lot better than the button....and the damn screws keep coming loose on my stock so I have to tighten them so much that the stock wont fold,but they are good looking stocks  ......I think im going to get rid of the stock soon, just not that comforttable
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I got my romy sidefolder about 11/2 years ago for $40 bucks ,works well to, but I for one would rather have a East German I just dont like the folder button on the romy. I was at a gunshow in November and I got to play with a German stock and I do like the swich a lot better than the button....and the damn screws keep coming loose on my stock so I have to tighten them so much that the stock wont fold,but they are good looking stocks  ......I think im going to get rid of the stock soon, just not that comforttable

Let me know if you want to get rid of er.....we can talk more.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top