Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 3:46:26 PM EDT
I got a new WASR lo cap to convert to high cap.  It's new, and has the muzzle nut welded on, with plunger and spring.

Was wondering if I could remove the muzzle nut and install a standard AK slant brake?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The way I did it was cut the cheap ass tack weld on the nut and twist that sucker off.  I decided to replace the gas block too, so I ended up just replacing the sight base too.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
But it did have threads, right?  What kind of threads were they? Can I put a regular slant break on it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The best answer I got was "maybe", but I got lucky.  Some people claim the nut is pressed onto a barrel turned down too small to be threaded for 14x1 LH threads (AK standard).  If it is turned down (which Im pretty sure all barrels will soon be) you might be able to thread it for 1/2x28 (AR standard threads) and get a custom break or FS or drill your own.  One thing about WASR rifles is you never know how deep the bullshit goes until you step into it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My WASR 10 low cap did infact have threads under the nut.  Use a dremel to cut the tack weld and then unscrew it.  Its reversed threads just so you know.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
"Reversed" threads?  Not standard 14 x 1 Ak threads?   Does anyone make a break that fits those threads?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
standard AK threads are reveresed. there LEFT HAND threads. make sure you turn the OPPOSITE way you normally would to remove it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, NOW I get it.....thanks Y'all!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Removed the weld, muzzle nut and installed the slant break easily. Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top