Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 9:26:32 PM EDT
There's the FCG, the rear grip and what else?  What foriegn part is easiest to swap so I can use a bakelite grip?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
American made parts that I know of are:

All the furnature. = 3 parts for all of it.
Gas Piston = 1 part
FCG = 3 parts

There are many other misc. parts, but none count towards 922(r)

You can easily replace the FCG and the furnature yourself. The gas piston can be done if you are good with mechanical work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but what I need to know is not which American parts can I buy, but which are installed by Century.  As I understand it there are 5 that make it domestic or 922R compliant.  I'd like to have all Romanian furniture and stay legal.  The US parts in mine that I'm sure about are the fire control group and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm pretty sure they come from Century with:
(American)

trigger

hammer

disconnector

gas piston

pistol grip
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  May just break down and get the K-VAR plum synthetic.  Just thought the bakelite looked cool.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey HSimpson:

If you like the bakelite grips why don't you buy a set of black handguards to replace the Romanian wood? This counts as one part so you can remove the US pistol grip and replace it with a foreign bakelite grip. I thought about doing what you would like to to do but ended up getting a complete Nato plum stock stock set.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Ironwood makes wood furniture (walnut, laminated or maple) so you could swap out the Romanian buttstock or handguards to use the the bakelite grip.  I'd probably swap out both the buttstock & handguards just to make sure they match.  

Another option, if your SAR is 7.62x39 is to use US made mag followers or floorplates in all your magazines.  I think somebody does make US followers for the 5.56 SAR3 but those of us with 5.45x39 guns are SOL because nobody that I know of makes US followers or floorplates for the 5.45 mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again guys.  I have an SAR2 laminated and don't mind the black US grip aside from it being so slender.  It's the SAR1 that I sanded stained red and refinished that looks so cool next to the red/orange bakelite.

I'm waiting on Romanian front verticle grip of unknown finish now anyway.  Cheap parts kick ass!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top