Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 4:26:24 PM EDT
I bought a used SAR-1 today. Sights look good. Normal wear and tear. Wood is dark brown. I'm planning on stripping the wood and redoing the metal with Aluma Hyde. Whoever had it before didn't clean out anymore cosmoline than they had too. Anyone have any tips on the Aluma Hyde? I'm planning on stripping it down and soaking in paint thinner to clean and remove any and all lube. Then doing the painting. I'll refinish the wood after that. Thanks for any tips in advance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
WELCOME< COME IN HOLD ON AND HAVE FUN>>First thing you need is ammo, then ammo and more ammo...50 mag and 10,000 rounds should be enough...
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the Dark Side!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
XM- Woo-Hoo, welcome to the DARKNESS!

Campy-  Is there a refinishing thread that can be pinned up?  Seems like alot of good questions in regards to this banging around...

I KNOW THIS 'SOUNDS' CRAZY but: I am curious if I can use my propane fired outdoor grill to do the baking?  Can I drip proof the surface grill and bake the weapon clean?  Or is the weapon going to be the next "BAR-B-QUE" menu item?

REASON:  If I were to do this in the oven the woman would have a frigging-hizzy-fit with weapons going in there...

A week is FOREVER to go without my AK, I will NOT even consider 2-3 weeks of not handling it!

Yours & others knowledge is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Campybob, I'll try it today. So far I've scrubbed the metal with paint thinner. And blasted it with a whole can of brake cleaner. I'll heat it and use another can of brake cleaner today before I follow your other advice. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Living in UT I am sure your trunk gets warm enough, just lay it on a week's worth of newspaper.
For my cosmo'd milsurps which are too long for my oven, I use a small space heater in front of a register-end flange and a duct tube with the gun inside. Makes the house smell all warm and tactical in Ohio winters :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I finished it today. 3 coats of Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut on the furniture. I couldn't wait to order Aluma Hyde, so I used High temp flat black paint. I followed Campybobs instructions. It came out really well. I took some pics, but I need to find out how to post them. Have to take her to the range tomorrow.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top