Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2021 12:29:53 AM EDT
A guy I'm friends with really wants to sell me his SAR1, and I really wasn't that interested but he doesn't want to sell it to anyone else because he knows how much I like AK's and that I'll take care of it, or make sure it goes to a good home.

I tried to convince him he could get more online but he's set on just selling it to me. So I agreed and plan on just saving up some money and buying it in September for 800.

I already have 2 WASR's and a Bulgy 5.45 and a complete parts kit to build still, so I don't really need this.

But the positives are its in immaculate shape. No rust or pitting, all matching parts and the rifling looks really good, and there is no cant to the front sight post. .

So what could I sell this for if I choose to go that way (I would prefer to sell to a member in a banstate so they can have a badass gun. OR what am I looking at cost wise to re thread the barrel to accept modern muzzle devices.

Really torn on what to do. Should I FO or no?

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
fo!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brich2929:
fo!
View Quote

Uncanny!!

FIRST POST is ALWAYS Right!!  

FO!!  

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice glad you guys agree. I like that it had the original cleaning kit inside the stock, and I think he said he had the 10 round mag too.

If I just had to come up with the cash right now, I would probably pass. But since he's cool with waiting for a while, it's works for me.

Can't decide if I want to thread the barrel. That would make it ban state non compliant if I ever did want to sell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy it!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iseifert] [#5]
I’ve been impressed with mine. Everyone has a different opinion on what the best imports were, but mine has been great. I did thread my barrel- but haven’t added a bayonet block back.

$800 is a steal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
In this market $800 is okay but nothing special. I'd rather have a new production WASR and actually sold my SAR1 in 2019 to get one. The SAR1 is a ban era import so it wouldn't help anyone in Massachusetts or wherever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I would thread the barrel, if there's metal where the bayonet lug would be, take a file and file a bayonet lug on there. Put a Romanian wire folding stock on it too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shiff:
In this market $800 is okay but nothing special. I'd rather have a new production WASR and actually sold my SAR1 in 2019 to get one. The SAR1 is a ban era import so it wouldn't help anyone in Massachusetts or wherever.
View Quote

They are legal in NJ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#10]
Great rifle. I've beat the ever living piss out of mine. I was one of those guys that was filling the actions with mud and gravel to test reliability back when they were only $250 bucks.

I'd buy it at $800 given the opportunity.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Great rifle. I've beat the ever living piss out of mine. I was one of those guys that was filling the actions with mud and gravel to test reliability back when they were only $250 bucks.

I'd buy it at $800 given the opportunity.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/20210902_204941_jpg-2076102.JPG
View Quote

I once had a foregrip just like that with graffiti on it, just like that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You may regret not buying it (but I personally think it shiitty if he sells to you and you turn right around and sell it for profit).

I have two SAR1s. Muzzles have been threaded and as far as I'm concerned, it's better than many of American made AKS out there. I also have Chinese, and in the end they all go bang every time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Snake-in-the-Grass:
You may regret not buying it (but I personally think it shiitty if he sells to you and you turn right around and sell it for profit).

I have two SAR1s. Muzzles have been threaded and as far as I'm concerned, it's better than many of American made AKS out there. I also have Chinese, and in the end they all go bang every time you pull the trigger.
View Quote

Ya I ended up getting it, And I actually do really like it a lot. I was going to get a buddy at work to buy it from him but that ended up falling through, and my buddy didn't want to sell it online and no one else wanted to pay the 8 for it, so I reluctantly bought it since he needed the cash to fix his car.

I shot it some, its a great shooter but honestly the thing is I have 4 AK's already. 2 Wasr's in various configurations and a 74 and a 10/63 parts kit I want to build into a side folder, and the ammo import shit got announced a month before I agreed to buy it. I forgot to update this, I have had it for a month plus now. I will say it's in incredible condition, with all the original stuff including the cleaning kit and 10rnd mag.

So while its a great gun, I really just don't see a need its filling.

It is what it is. In a perfect world I would keep it, thread the muzzle and throw a nice 74 brake on it and the have the receiver cut to accept a side folding stock, and then turn the 10/63 parts kit into an underfolder but that leaves me with two project guns that I don't have the money to do what I want with nor the ammo to shoot.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top