Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2008 10:24:05 AM EDT
I want to get a romanian sar3 to convert into something that looks like the current issue romanian service rifle. I want the sar 3 because its in 223 which I already have. any input on these rifles? what should I look out for? What about the WASR 3?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think you should look for the typical Romanian issues; canted sights, etc.

Mags could be an issue. My Bulgarian 5.56 mags don't lock in my SAR-2, which (I think) has the same 74 style mag well as the SAR-3. I haven't found followers for the German bakelites anywhere, so they're limited to ~19 rounds. Weiger mags work but are sometimes hard to get and are expensive.

If you want to change the FCG I think there's some issues there because the Romanian 5.56 bolt stem is shorter than 7.62 and 5.45 ones. The barrels seem like they should take the same threaded FSB as the SAR-2 if you want a AIM-74 clone.

That's about all I really know about them. I would buy one in the $400 price range.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks for the info. I wish there was a varient of the romanian service rifle already out there but it seems with most of these types of weapons these days you have to make them from other weapons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to get a romanian sar3 to convert into something that looks like the current issue romanian service rifle. I want the sar 3 because its in 223 which I already have. any input on these rifles? what should I look out for? What about the WASR 3?

I have the WASR 3 and can tell you a bunch of stuff about it.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I have learned about the SAR-3, is that you will definitely want to switch out the FCG for a Red Star FCG, unless it has already been done. Also, only the Wieger magazines work reliably with the rifle although some Bulgarian mags seem to work. The bolt for the SAR-3  is one-of-a-kind and there are few, if any, spare bolts (or components) available. Otherwise, as already mentioned, just be aware of canted sights, gas block, etc.

With what samsong will tell you and with the information from http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#sar3, you should be able to make a good decision. From other posts that I have read, people who have gotten their SAR-3 functioning properly are very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Good iinformation here, m1man,

I've had a SAR-3 for several years and it's been thru THOUSANDS of trouble free rounds.  Brass case, steel case, SP, HP, FMG -- it eats them all ! !

I installed a RedStar hammer -- some install the enitre FCG.  In my opinion you MUST use WEIGER mags.  When you read about the SAR-3 jam-o-matics you'll find out they are not using WEIGER mags.  Last toy show I saw them sellling to $22 each.  You'll find them on EE for $22-$25 each.  The WEIGER mags will hold a full 30 rounds and built just like any other metal AK mag -- like a tank ! !  

The SAR-3 has to be one of my favorite AK's of all time - and I've got several.  Always a hit on the range.  Would be one of the last guns I would ever sell.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
SAR-3's kick ass!!    I've got 6 of them.

I've owned 1 of almost every AK variant available to the general public- I've had multiple copies of many.  (Chinese,Egyptian, Yugo, Bulgarian, Galil, Valmet, Saiga).

After 25 years of owning and shooting AK's, I only have Romanian guns now. Everything else is over rated, over priced, not as accurate as the Romanians and no more reliable.

Weiger magazines are a MUST and I've got plenty of these too!! (NOT FOR SALE)

The only problem I've every had was trying to shoot NATEC polymer cased ammo. Damn near blew my face off when a round detonated in the receiver while being chambered. The top cover stayed on, but is slightly bent and rattles a bit. I had brass (from the case head) in my left forearm and face, and there was brass and molten polymer splattered all over the inside of the receiver and magazine.

I loaned the rifle and magazine to Natec for them to inspect after they tried to buy it from me. They tried to cover their asses with a b.s. story of YOUR GUN IS JUNK. Got the rifle back and it's been shooting fine every since. I didn't have to replace any parts, I just cleaned it out a bit. In fact, it's mounted on the protective screen in my patrol car right now and I just qualified with it yet again last week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
yankee43, as an officer of the law, you actually admit to using one of those evil imported rifles while on duty and no doubt frightening the very population you are sworn to protect?

Shocking - just shocking!

Way to go!
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SAR-3's kick ass!!    I've got 6 of them.

I've owned 1 of almost every AK variant available to the general public- I've had multiple copies of many.  (Chinese,Egyptian, Yugo, Bulgarian, Galil, Valmet, Saiga).

After 25 years of owning and shooting AK's, I only have Romanian guns now. Everything else is over rated, over priced, not as accurate as the Romanians and no more reliable.

Weiger magazines are a MUST and I've got plenty of these too!! (NOT FOR SALE)

The only problem I've every had was trying to shoot NATEC polymer cased ammo. Damn near blew my face off when a round detonated in the receiver while being chambered. The top cover stayed on, but is slightly bent and rattles a bit. I had brass (from the case head) in my left forearm and face, and there was brass and molten polymer splattered all over the inside of the receiver and magazine.

I loaned the rifle and magazine to Natec for them to inspect after they tried to buy it from me. They tried to cover their asses with a b.s. story of YOUR GUN IS JUNK. Got the rifle back and it's been shooting fine every since. I didn't have to replace any parts, I just cleaned it out a bit. In fact, it's mounted on the protective screen in my patrol car right now and I just qualified with it yet again last week.

very interesting. I have used the natech stuff to great sucess in the ar15. I've heard it works in the m249 too wich is more or less an ak action. wierd that it didnt work for you. did that happen on the first round?

Also it is interesting that you carry that rifle. I didnt think any le would use an ak for thier patrol rifle. I suppose you arnt in a big jurisdiction like LA, NYC or Chicago. lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The Natec failure happened on the 6th or 7th round.

I work at a medium sized Sheriff's Office in a mostly rural area with many villages and 1 city.  It's also a resort area with much, much, much drug and/or alcohol related crimes.

No one recognizes my AK for what it is, probably because most people aren't gun savvy. I do get asked about it ALOT by people on their way to jail.

Here's some pictures of it. I've put Command Arms Accessories tri-rail handguard and M-4 stock w/aluminum tube on it. It's also got a Streamlight TLR-1 and a Tapco SAW grip.  I keep a KOBRA sight in the car, 3 Weiger mags, sling, QD sling swivel and a detachable forward grip. I'm on the SWAT team and use this there as well.

As you can see in the photos, I've got it mounted in a standard shotgun mount. No modification needed at all to the rifle or mount- I just simply put the SAR in upside down and it goes in the mount like it was made for it. Note the locking bar of the mount in front of the cocking handle and the front sight base over the barrel shelf. The rear of the top cover fits perfectly where the shotgun trigger guard goes (behind the headrest).

It's loaded with 60gr. Hornady TAP and burns gunpowder everytime I pull the trigger.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top