Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:13:36 PM EDT
Have an AK-47 I'm looking at and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it (make, reliability, what they go for money wise, etc).

It has the following markings, none of which show importer.

AK47S 7.62x39mm
MADE IN CHINA

This is on the left side of the receiver. It has medium brown wood furniture (handguards and pistol grip are all same wood), a slant muzzle break, and a lug that I assume once held a bayonet (only the cleaning rod remains). The lug isnt ground off or anything, so it must have just came originally with a detachable bayo. It is an underfolder, and the mechanism is pretty solid (folded as well as unfolded). Its also obviously a stamped receiver, but actually seems to be heavier and thicker than my stamped SAR1.

Anyway, I did some research on the internet and came up with the name Jin An, who supposedly imported some AK's into the US in the mid / late 80's before ultimately being banned. I read something where this company was busted by the ATF for selling Full Auto Korean AK47's here in America. I guess they were known to not have import stampings on them, but some would be stamped PROCHINE (yes, with an "e" at the end). I cannot find any PROCHINE markings on this rifle at all, no import markings of any kind.

Serial number is 87XXXXX. If its indeed a Jin An, I read where the "87" in the serail # denotes the year it was made.

There are absolutely no other markings on this rifle.

If there's anyone out there who can help me out with identifying this rifle, and any comments on the quality of whatever line this came from, it'd be much appreciated. Also, Id like to know the ballpark value of it as well. Its clearlly been used, but is in great shape.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Look on the barrel for the importers stamp.

Check these two sites.

www.chicom47.com/

www.internetliberationfront.com/articles/chinajingan.shtml
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, thanks, I found those 2 sites on my google search.  Ive torn this thing down completely and there is absolutely no import mark, even on the barrel.  I guess some of these Jin An underfolders were imported here and were never stamped.  The only other markings I found were the matching #'s (last 4 digits) on the bolt.  Weird.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet it was originally a Canadian gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bet it was originally a Canadian gun.

I never thought of that.  Does (or did) Canada not require importation marks on assault / foreign rifles?  Interesting idea, thanks.  Not a big deal, I mean, its a solid Chinese AK for a good price, but just never came across one without any importation marks of any kind (but I am more of an AR guy, only owning 2 AK's).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It is hard to say with Chinese AK's anything goes.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
That really does seem to be a rare thing. It may just have been forgoten by the importer.
Although some guns I've seen had super small markings about 1/16 (1.2 mm) hidden in a corner.

As you know any firearm sold or transfered in commerance , even home build , does require the minimum marks  1/16  tall < Maker, Importer, City, State ,S/N >
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two that were imported from Canada. They have two importer markings 1 US 1 Canada.
I have one it took me awhile to find the importer markings and  with a magnifying glass I found it on the barrel. I would say it is a chicom.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
MadCzek,

I have one just like it at home, along with a non-folder.

Most likely a Norinco.

Check out this link, or shall I say, copy and paste this to your seach browser.

http://www.internetliberationfront.com/articles/chinajingan.shtml

Both of mine were purchased back in the mid 80's

Hope this helps

Art
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top