Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:30:53 PM EDT
I've got a line on some Galil 223 mags and am curious if they will fin my Norinco 84s.  How about Bulgy SAM-5 or a SAR-3 (blasphemy!)? Anyone know?  I'd buy one to find out but minimum order size is 5 mags.

Thanks,  Bradley5050
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If no one else knows, I can try Waffles, 74 conversion with Robarms followers and Wiegers. But I think the consensus is, sans molestation, they wont run. Dont have any Galil mags

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Normally at the range weekly - I'll drag my Norinco and the aforementioned mags and let you know. Im almost certain of the outcome, but lets see it empirically. IM me if you dont see any action here in a week - I may forget.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No, they won't work.  At least not without some modifications.   They're too wide for the mag well in a Norinco.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
To expand on NHM, Bulgy Waffle, Wieger, and Chinese Norinco - and converted 74 mags - are all AK74 pattern magwell opening. So they interchange to some extent (fit) - but may not run. Valmet, Polytech and I think Galil mags are AKM pattern so they wont fit 74 pattern magwells.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a cool idea though, a .223 AK modified to take 50rd Galil mags.

I wonder if having a .223 SAR or VEPR rebuilt on an AKM type receiver would be the way to go, or if a magwell could be opened up in a quality manner to accept these mags.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Bradley:

Wiegers wont fit, Converted Romanian Circle 10s with Robar followers are extremely tight, wouldnt load (forgot the Polish), Bulgy Waffles, some would actually fit but would not run. I thought some of them would kind of run.

cjk1 - theres no problem that a suitably large pile of money wont solve. Probably cheaper to buy a Galil

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have spoken to Krebs personally on the phone about this and he used to list it on his website but no longer does custom work for individuals if I understand correctly. Anyways, the point is that the rifle receiver can be permanently modified to accept  Galil mags (which are UNmodified). This is possible both for the .223 and the .308 VEPRS and or Saigas.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
a have been lucky so far did a mod on a galil mag fore my sar-3 and it works perfect shaved thev sides down a little bit to get in mage well and used the tig to add material to the front and back of the mag took abought 2-hours but it works
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually you can use Wieger magazines in 5.56 MAK-90 with these simple mods:

1) the sides of the magazine (left and right) need to be thinned with a grinder

2) The magazine needs to be crimped with needle nose pliers just forward of the magazine lips to direct the round into the chamber

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top