Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 1:36:16 AM EDT
Just wondering, since my son wants to replace the thumbhole stock on his MAk and we are going to look into that possibility when he is in CT this coming weekend.

Both use 1.5mm receiver metal, and both have angle cut receivers, albeit the MAK's cut seems to be a bit more vertical, based on our verbal comparison of dimensions on my VEPR-K and his MAK.

Any info appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not have the angle cut receiver, or the vepr stock, but I did manage to stuff a bulgy stock into a MAK.....TONS of grinding required.  I used a belt sander.  Not only did I have to remove material because of the thicker receiver, but the trunnion seemed to be slightly different than what the bulgy was intended for as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Check this thread as the Choate stock is the most comfortable thumbhole stock there is.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=75412
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Just finished lining up the VEPR stock with my son's MAK. It looks like it will work, only mod required looks like cutting away the outside material to fit the steeper angle of cut on the MAK receiver.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Post pics when you are done, I want to see this.

Sounds like a good project to work on with the kid....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm anxious to see it as well, but he lives in PA and will be handling the mod by himself.

Email to RobArms indicated solid buttstock/PG is only $45, so it will be a very cost-effective way to upgrade to modern furniture, along with possibly a TAPCO Galil front handguard (the VEPR HG units will not fit on the MAK), and he is toying with doing a desert camo paint job as well to match his AR-15 once he gets it all installed.

Added benefit, in his opinion after shooting my VEPR, is that the RPK style stock is a much better design for shouldering/shooting.

Will post update, and hopefully pics, when he is done.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top