Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:01:35 PM EDT
is it possible to thread a mak-90 barrel to fit a flash hider is thier enough meat on the end of the barrel? i had a screw on brake on mine for a couple thousand rounds till it went flying down range i want to put a brake back on it to make quicker follow up shots any help in were to buy the tools tap set if possible will be a help, yes i know about the u.s part count
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what the diameter of the barrel is. A 14mm/.551" barrel can be threaded 14x1mmLH which is the standard size for AK-47/AKM rifles. If the barrel is -/+ .010 of .500" it can be threaded 1/2-28 which is the standard size for AR-15/M-16 rifles.

www.dynasystems-ltd.com/threadingkits.htm
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put an AK 74 brake on a Mak 90 for my dad the 14mm threads cut fine. I bought the brake and die from Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
hey if ya got a link for brownells i would apreciate it, i haven't fully mastered brownells yet but an ak-74 style brake is definantly what i am shooting for though, i might even switch out the front sight post and put one with the spring indent in it also
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought Mak's were threaded initially and then the threads were buzzed off when they became the thumbhole bastards meant for import to US.....

so a 14mm will work?  Cool...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
MAK-90 rifles imported in 1990 were previously pre ban rifles so had a muzzle nut tack welded on the threaded barrels. The 1991-1993 imports of MAK-90 rifles had the threads turned off. The 1994 imported MAK-90 rifles were never threaded so the barrels are 14mm in diameter but the front sights were not drilled for the muzzle brake retaining pin and spring.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What about ( MILLED ) Mak's?? I was thinking they was only imported 1 year.... Im sure Im wrong... LOL. WD
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Most milled receiver MAK-90 rifles were imported in 1993. The barrels were never threaded and the front sight didn't have the hole drilled for the muzzle brake retaining pin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
is it possible to thread a mak-90 barrel to fit a flash hider is thier enough meat on the end of the barrel? i had a screw on brake on mine for a couple thousand rounds till it went flying down range i want to put a brake back on it to make quicker follow up shots any help in were to buy the tools tap set if possible will be a help, yes i know about the u.s part count

The reason the barrels came as "NON-THREADED" after 1989 is because per the ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS CONTROL ACT OF 1989 "A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer. "

A threaded barrel is deemed to be able to accept a silencer which is expressly forbidden by California Law.

Threading the barrel on your MAK-90 will get you in a lot of trouble in the Peoples' Republik of Kalifornya.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
its a registered assault rifle under the miltary exempt clause
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
its a registered assault rifle under the miltary exempt clause

State laws can be more restrictive than Federal laws, but not less.

In the People's Republik of Kalifornya, you can alter a registered assault weopon only to take out the charactaristics that make it an assault weapon, thus rendering it "safe".

An assault weapon cannot be changed to add more "evil" characteristics, specially one deemed to be able to attach a silencer, which is almost like having a tank in the eyes of our esteemed Kalifornya DOJ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
JA545,

FWIW, my MAK-90 is a '94 and the muzzle appears to have had threads that were turned off. It was imported by K.S.I. in California.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#14]
If the threads were turned off there prob isn't enough meat left to re thread.

I have one of the early MAK 90's " Nuetered pre-ban" with threaded muzzle and cleaning rod, the thread cap wasn't even tack welded . Saw another one last week in a pawnshop in a Choate? Drag stock for $ 235 and like a DA didn't buy it because I already had one, Came too my senses and wen't back for it and it was gone.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:10:08 AM EDT
[#15]
RRANMAR15,
What is the diameter of your barrel?
KSI Pomona,CA?
Stamped receiver?
Stamped "SPORTER" after the MAK-90 ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I never put a micrometer on it but it is stepped down from the barrel diameter under the FSB(my SAR 1 + 2 are not) also it looks like rough turning marks on the muzzle end(compared to the rest of the barrel).

Yes. KSI Pomona CA.
Yes. Stamped Receiver(straight cut).
Yes. Stamped "SPORTER".
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
All AK rifles barrels are larger in diameter where the front sight base is pressed on and step down where the barrel threads are on the end. You will have to measure the barrel to see if the threads were turned off or if the marks are just from sloppy lathe work. If the threads were turned off it will measure around 13mm/.511" and if just sloppy lathe work it will be around 14mm/.551" in diameter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
How hard would it be to thread the barrel that had the threads buzzed off to AR 1/28 spec and then screw a small peice of tubing over that.  Then you could thread the outside of the tubing to standard AK specs?

Like a reverse helicoil?  It would act like a spacer.  Is any company doing that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Been there done that by making 1/2-28 to 14x1mmLH thead adapters.

Drilled and tapped 1/2-28 hole in a piece of 14mm rod. Then threaded the rod 14x1mmLH. The problem was that the wall of the adapter is very thin before threading. Cutting the outside threads the die would cut through the adapter. I would have to make 7-8 of them before I would get one that didn't have holes in it. If a adapter had holes in it when you screwed it on the barrel and then screwed a muzzle brake on the adapter would snap in half  or buckle at the holes. Then the muzzle nut would not screw on any farther and you would be stuck with a muzzle nut screwed half way on.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Ihave a mak that has a threaded barrell, that was tack welded
It has a triangle with a 56in it and says nhm-90 on it serial number MS02****s. this would lead me to believe it was a a 1990 import but I bought it brand new in 95 were there some that just sat around for that long? and how would I find out the manufacture date?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Since the 1989 ban imported rifles have had the year of import stamped on them. It was either a two diget number in the model name.
Examples
MAK-90,NHM-90 = imported in 1990
MAK-91,NHM-91 = imported in 1991
BWK-92 = imported in 1992
If imported later than the two digets in the model name it will have a two diget prefix or suffix on the serial number to denote year of import. The x's are the serial number.
Examples of 1991 imported rifle.
91(space)xxxxxx
91-xxxxxxx
91xxxxxx
xxxxxx(space)91
xxxxx-91
xxxxx91
The rifles imported in 1992,1993,1994 will have 92,93,94 in place of the 91 in the above examples.
Just to show there are no rules carved in stone when talking about Chinese rifles I have a MAK-90 rifle that has the serial number 90(space)xxxxxx. But my other MAK-90 rifle doesn't anything but the MAK-90 stamped on it with nothing added to the serial number.
I have a MAK-90 with a 93 serial number prefix so it is a 1993 import. It was new in the box with the rifle and the accesories that were still sealed in the factory plastic bags when I bought it in 1998. Just about every gun show I go to there will be at least one dealer with a  brand new in the box Chinese AK rifle. As you know Chinese guns and ammo were banned from being imported in May of 1994.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top