Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 4:42:36 AM EDT
I wanted to put a stock set on my Norinco that was as close to the original color as possible.  I bought a complete Norinco stockset off board member Ned Flanders about a year and a half ago.  I then purchased an Ironwood Maple pistol grip that was cut for ferrule.  Then off to the home depot for min wax wood conditioner, Minwax Golden Pecan stain, and amber shellac.

I installed a Gtech FCG, a US gas piston,and US slant brake.  Then off to work on the wood.

First I wetted the Ironwood grip, then sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper, then 320 grit, then 400 grit, and finished up with rubbing it with steel wool.  Then I applied the wood conditioner.  I let it soak in for 20 minutes then applied the Golden Pecan stain.  I applied a coat of Golden Pecan stain daily until it wasn't getting any darker.  Then I applied 4 coats of the amber shellac.

Here are the results comparing the grip against the Norinco Stockset:

Its not a perfect match, but it is close enough for me!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good to me. I've read the golden Pecan is a pretty good match for Romanian laminate too but haven't tried it yet.

I do like the look of a wood pistol grip instead of plastic, especially on Norincos.

Great job!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah plastic just doesn't look right to me on Norinco's either.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top