Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:15:06 AM EDT
Hello all, Great site I apologize if I am in the wrong section here.

I have collection of Chinese AK's, Most of these were purchased during the assualt weapons ban.  I understood what a "Pre-ban" rifle was at that time and knew what had to be done to make that same gun legal under the AWB.  But now that the AWB is history I get a varied answers to my question, which is:

Can I take a Mak 90 that was sold with thumbhole,10 round mag, and no bayonet, etc and add a chinese underfolder stock, underfolder bayonet ( replacing the original front sight and gas tube mount) etc.?

My understanding is yes I can, as an underfolder Ak was perfectly legal before the ban So it should be legal after then ban.  

Is this the case?

This is in the state of Oregon so their are no state laws that trump this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.tapco.com/section922r.aspx
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
On that mak90, sport is right.  Still needs to comply with 922.  You can have flash suppresoors and folding stocks as long as import parts count is 10 or less.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

this is what I am looking for!  thanks guys.  In enevitably I have more questions though.

I assume they mean final parts count?  And what does "Assemble" a rifle mean?

From the sounds of that list it would not be legal to import all these new WASR and MAADI's I see at all the gun shows now, how does that work.

Or does it mean I cannot add more then 10 additional peices to the count of the parts as it was imported?

And if someone can point me to where this has allready been discussed I will happily go there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay guys, Im back up to speed.   Just did a bunch of reading and undersand where we are with all this now.  the only thing I am still confused about is how all these new Ak's in "Evil" configurations are getting into the country.   From my understanding we cannot import Assualt weapons.    Are these all just left overs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a great thread which explains the "16 countable AK parts" and how they relate to the "no more than 10 imported parts" provision of 922r.

Any "evil" AKs that are here either:

1. Come into the country made of imported parts but only accept single-stack, low capacity mags or don't have other "evil" features (IE: WASR with no threaded muzzle)

2. Come in as "sporter" configurations (like thumb-hole stocks or Saigas) and are converted to meet 922r once in country

3. Are built in the USA from parts kits (which were not banned from import) and include the requisite number of US made parts to comply with 922r.

Hope this helps!

ETA: or are preban guns.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say either rebuilt guns, or parts kits, or just parts for that matter, being built on US receivers and using enough US parts to be 922R compliant. Parts can be imported not fully assembled rifles.

ETA oops a little late
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I would say either rebuilt guns, or parts kits, or just parts for that matter, being built on US receivers and using enough US parts to be 922R compliant. Parts can be imported not fully assembled rifles.

ETA oops a little late

ITodaso

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Here is a great thread which explains the "16 countable AK parts" and how they relate to the "no more than 10 imported parts" provision of 922r.

That site is Borked.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top