Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:38:39 PM EDT
After reading everyone's posts about how stubborn the barell pins on the AMD's are usually I was scared shitless to start tearing mine apart.  Ended up taking no more than 30 minutes to get the barell pin out and barell pressed out of the truniun.

Used the bolt/nut/vise technique for the pin.  It's first SNAP was loud enough the guys upstairs at the shop heard it.  But it pushed out just fine afterwards.

Then I set the barell in the hydro press (Harbor Freight style modified to crush oil filters) and with the help of a 12mm? bolt and a nickle the barell pushed right out without much force.

Sorry to gloat, but I'm getting excited, now I need to find a reciever at the fun show this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After reading everyone's posts about how stubborn the barell pins on the AMD's are usually I was scared shitless to start tearing mine apart.  Ended up taking no more than 30 minutes to get the barell pin out and barell pressed out of the truniun.

Used the bolt/nut/vise technique for the pin.  It's first SNAP was loud enough the guys upstairs at the shop heard it.  But it pushed out just fine afterwards.

Then I set the barell in the hydro press (Harbor Freight style modified to crush oil filters) and with the help of a 12mm? bolt and a nickle the barell pushed right out without much force.

Sorry to gloat, but I'm getting excited, now I need to find a reciever at the fun show this weekend.

I tried two pully pullers....a bench vise and a jack.....oiled the damb thing and tried again...nothing but some new marks on the trunnion...NOTHING..did not move AT ALL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You aren't anywhere around Oregon are you?  If so I could try to press it out after work for you.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the offer....I live more toward the top of the state though....Olympic Peninsula
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a homemade press and it was fairly easy the romey's
are a lot harder.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I appreciate the offer....I live more toward the top of the state though....Olympic Peninsula

If you really can't get it you can send it do me and I can pull the barrel in under 5-minutes...  Postage to PA would kill any benifit though...  You need a press!

PM me if you are interested...  just seems like a waste to send the barrel that far and back to remove a stuck pin...  someone must be closer to you with a press!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few builds under my belt but i have removed all the barrels out of all my kits (10) except a few i'm keeping for investment purposes. a hydraulic press from my understanding is the best tool for the job but i refuse to buy one, i used to own a 50 ton hydraulic press that i sold for a mear 150 bucks for lack of use once i sold my auto service shop. I've had great luck with the pulley puller so i go with that, before i used the pulley puller i used to beat them out, this is how you do it. First you need a dowel rod/bolt or punch, what i did was take a 9/16 bolt about 5 inches long, i rounded the hex end of the bolt on the bench grinder, screw on the nut flush on the threaded end (this is what your going to use to beat the barrel out with). Second, open your vice to where the trunnion sits on top of the vise with the barrel between the jaws, have a buddy hold the barrel so it doesnt move to much when ur beating it out. with the trunnion resting on the jaws of the vise put in a couple nickles on the chamber face insert your bolt and bang away with a solid hammer at least a 3 pound hammer. It will come out just use hard hits and watch ur fingers, some guys use a pair of vise grips to hold the bolt.  McM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
amd pin came out easy
Romy was a bitch to get out
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey I just bought a AMD kit at the gun show in Albany this weekend! Probably wont be ably to afford a reciever for a couple of weeks though...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey I just bought a AMD kit at the gun show in Albany this weekend! Probably wont be ably to afford a reciever for a couple of weeks though...hr

How much did you pay for the kit? If you don't mind me asking.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top