Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2008 3:31:32 PM EDT
So I've been reading build instructions on various sites, and all of them say something like this:

Remove barrel pin.
Press out barrel.
Knock out old rivets from trunnion.

Couldn't I just grind the old rivet heads down so they're flush with the trunnion, then drill new holes into the trunnion and use the new holes for the screw build? My receiver doesn't have any front trunnion holes predrilled. Is this a bad idea, and if so, why?
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Educated guesses and uninformed opinions are welcome, too. Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
the easy way is to drill out the rivets.  then hot set the rivets as described here...link
can't say if it works or not  but it sounds easier than messing with headspace.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Screw builds are ok but not as good as a rivet build.  You're choice.

Hot riveting is a bad idea.  Just drilling out and then hot setting a rivet will not get the swell behind the trunnion needed to hold.

If it were my build, I would check around for a build party in your area and do the rivet build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You could drill out the front rivets...and use u drive rivits..I have donne this before on a couple romies..and a Polish UF.

Fired thousands of rounds with no issues.

I however now only use the rivet method..headspace is cake to deal with..

Do it right the first time, save your kit, save your money, saves your time in the long run...and most importantly...might save your life.

Good luck
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top