Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 11:42:00 AM EDT
I've got what is apparently a Bulgarian copy of the AK47 and I need figure out an approximate asking price for it.  Will probably sell it at the big HGCA gunshow next week in Houston.  

Now supposedly this thing is imported by SENTINEL ARMS according to the box.  Never heard of the company.  The "producer" is Arsenal, so I guess that means there is or was a Bulgarian company by that name.  Near as I can tell, it was produced in the late 1990's(1995 or 1996) so it's obviously postban.  

It's got one of those idiotic thumbhole stocks but it appears to be made of decent wood with an OK finish.  The receiver is of an RPK type, milled rather than stamped.  It's a carbine, 16-inch barrel, and even though it came with a little stubby ten-round mag, it'll accept hi-cap surplus mags.

There's no flash suppressor or bayonet lug.  The gun looks and smells like it's new and unfired.  It was still in the original plastic apparently when I opened the box.  At anyrate, I don't normally play with Kalishnikov weapons so I don't know what to ask for this gun.

I've got five hi-cap surplus mags that it will accept but if these things are anything like FAL's, then you have to have a certain number of US made parts to be sure that using military surplus hi-caps doesn't generate a huge legal conflict.

If y'all don't mind, let me know what you think this gun ought to be worth under a best and worst case scenario.  Best case being that the hi-cap mags don't generate a legal problem and worst case being that I have to sell the gun without the mags to be legal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You have a SA-93, one of the first Bulgarian imported AK's.

The receiver is not an RPK type, which are acutally stamped, but you are correct that it has a milled receiver.

You can put what ever "hicap" magazines you want in there with out a problem.  You only need to worry about the parts count issue when you start installing pistol grip stock sets.

In the condition you describe, you're looking at about $500-$575.00 or so.  AK magazines are dirt cheap unless you've got some special collectable magazines.  Standard 30 round steel magazines are about $10.00 or so for new, $6.00 for used.

You might think about keeping it, it's a fine little carbine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  On the reciever thing, I thought it was RPK's that got heavier recievers than regular AK's.  Every AK I've seen up to this point has been stamped and I thought that was the primary difference between RPK's and AK's.  At anyrate, I'm not a Kalishnikov guy so you've taught me something I didn't know.  Is there an AK primer somewhere similar to the AR15 primer that explains the history of the design and the different variants?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the Vietnamese TUL-1 Campy!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You really should think about keeping her.  They did not bring in many SA93's before ban went into effect; and they had to change to SLR95.  She is one of the finest AK's, maybe THE finest.  Very accurate along with AK's general ruggedness and reliability.  As you describe; like new in box, figure she is worth every bit of five hundred.  I promise that this is one you will later regret selling.  Arsenal is indeed the manufacturer in Bulgaria, Sentinel was the importer.  You could not ask for a better "End of the World" rifle.  Best Wishes
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top