Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 6:07:18 PM EDT
o.k., I knew my arsenal SAM 7R had a painted finish and I've been very careful with it.

what I didn't suspect was that the bolt assembly is also painted.

while cleaning the gun I dropped the bolt in a small tub of hoppe's #9 overnight to soak.

just took it out and guess what? - STICKY FINGERS!

yep, removed the paint. I now have an "in the white" (mostly) bolt.

the owner's clearly states to use CLP, but I figured the internals had a durable metal coating.

just a heads up for 'ya...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
the good news is....

it's parkerized! Excellent base for yet another paint job!

Probably doesn't look bad though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
congrats, your half way to having super smooth action...........now polish the bottom of the bolt, the bottom of your carrier and your receiver rails
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never understood why Arsenal decides on using such crappy paint on $1000+ dollar rifles.
I suppose it's because they can, and we'll gladly continue to buy them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I had mine blasted an blued for 200 dollars by two river arms. Buttery smooth. Mines a slr100h though, close enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
o.k., I knew my arsenal SAM 7R had a painted finish and I've been very careful with it.

what I didn't suspect was that the bolt assembly is also painted.

while cleaning the gun I dropped the bolt in a small tub of hoppe's #9 overnight to soak.

just took it out and guess what? - STICKY FINGERS!

yep, removed the paint. I now have an "in the white" (mostly) bolt.

the owner's clearly states to use CLP, but I figured the internals had a durable metal coating.

just a heads up for 'ya...
View Quote
Many people post on this forum on how to remove the paint from their bolt & carrier so they can have "in the white" parts. Consider yourself lucky it was so easy.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, it was a "no brainer" on my part.

like nictra said, there was parkerizing underneath the house paint, so no harm done.

I will look into doing the polish work mentioned by sublimeon24s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:24:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I stopped buying Hoppes when I bought my 107.

Its good stuff but I don't take any chances.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of us Arsenal owners have "Live & Learned" over the years...

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
As an AK newbie, I dropped my SGL31 brake in some solvent to soak and loosen some carbon. loosened more than carbon
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top