Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2013 8:28:15 PM EDT
Can anyone comment on the differences between the new Arsenal SAM7R-61 and the SLR 101-13. I have the SLR 101-13 and I am considering purchasing the new SAM7R-61 shown on the KVAR website. From what I can tell they are identical with the Bulgarian milled receiver and other features. Since the KVAR support people have been unavailable for the last week, can anyone comment on the technical and/or practical differences between the two?  Thanks KJ
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Or to put it another way...If you one of each and had to sell one, which one would you sell first and why.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I own an SA M7r. It's the smoothest most accurate AK I have ever shot. In fact right now I'm looking to buy another one, but I need to find a vendor that has them in stock. Of the other AK's I shot: it was a Hungarian SA85 and an SGL, so not many. But the difference was noticeable. That said, I can't legally own an SLR since I live in CA.

From what I know: both are basically the same thing performance wise.

From a collector/value point of view: the SLR is more desirable because of the markings on the receiver. (Made in Bulgaria, etc) whereas the SA M7r has made in Las Vegas, NV stamped on the receiver
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the differences between the new Arsenal SAM7R-61 and the SLR 101-13. I have the SLR 101-13 and I am considering purchasing the new SAM7R-61 shown on the KVAR website. From what I can tell they are identical with the Bulgarian milled receiver and other features. Since the KVAR support people have been unavailable for the last week, can anyone comment on the technical and/or practical differences between the two?  Thanks KJ

I have been wondering the same thing. I think waddlingweezol is correct about the "made in Bulgaria" vs. "made in Las Vegas". Screw it own both. They have them in stock right now why wait and miss the opportunity to own one of each. You will never lose money with these rifles. I would have bought the rifle but I bought the pistol and have no more money. : (
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If anyone get a spare SA M7R, I'll gladly take it off your hands. If you consider selling it. I can't find a distributor with them at the moment. Looking for a new one though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just reviving this older post to clarify...the SAM7R-61 currently being sold by K-Var is the exact same rifle as the SLR 101-13.  K-Var/Arsenal recently decided to change the name of the SLR-101 to SAM7-61, for reasons unknown to me.  But rest assured, although the names are different it's the exact same rifle.  

There has been some confusion on this because the old SA-M7 rifles had Bulgarian receivers that were finished in the U.S., technically making them "America made" receivers.  That is not the case with the SAM7R-61 currently being sold by K-Var.  "SAM7R-61" is just a new name for the SLR 101-13 rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I would just like to bump this to ask a quick question.
I dont know much about AK's, but im looking at this model. (SAM7R-61)

All the different variations make my head spin, so my question is, can I get a wood stock set and maybe slant break, and put it on this rifle and still be in compliance?
Same question for the SGL-21, if/when they come back in stock somewhere.
I really like the SAM-7 Classic, I would just refinish the wood, but its too rich for my blood.

I just want a traditional looking wood furniture AK of good quality. If there is another option please let me know.  thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would just like to bump this to ask a quick question.
I dont know much about AK's, but im looking at this model. (SAM7R-61)

All the different variations make my head spin, so my question is, can I get a wood stock set and maybe slant break, and put it on this rifle and still be in compliance?
Same question for the SGL-21, if/when they come back in stock somewhere.
I really like the SAM-7 Classic, I would just refinish the wood, but its too rich for my blood.

I just want a traditional looking wood furniture AK of good quality. If there is another option please let me know.  thanks.

Yes, all that can be done with both the SGL and SAM7R, the will just need the appropriate furniture. One for stamped pattern the other for milled. Slant break will be a little harder on the SGL, you might have to have the entire front sight block replaced
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I contacted Arsenal with the same question and their reply was "None, just model number was changed by Bulgaria.", so they are actually one in the same. I was fortunate and was able to purchase a SLR101S when they first came out for $975.00. I went to a gun show after I had purchased mine but before I had received it and they were selling for $1275.00. I was a happy camper.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top