Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/2/2020 4:31:45 PM EDT
I have a PSA AK47 where the bolt is intermittently sticking to the rear. This happens when charging or shooting the gun, but only if the bolt is fully pulled back. The bolt will go forward if you press forward on the charging handle.  

Things I have modified on the rifle:
1. I added an ALG trigger. I tried to sand/file down the hump on the trigger somewhat in case that's what the bolt is catching on.
2. I added a Krebs safety to the rifle.

The rest of the gun is stock.

Any help or troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.

Pictures of the rifle below. In the last two photos the bolt is stuck to the rear after being charged.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dntama] [#1]
It’s probably getting hung up on the hammer.  Is it popping up out of its track?   You could try an extra power recoil spring or a recoil buffer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen it pop fully out of the track. I will pickup an extra power spring to see if that helps. Thank you for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a recoil buffer. (Little rubber dude) Costs nothing. Will stop the overtravel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Little_Bo_Peep:
I have a PSA AK47 where the bolt is intermittently sticking to the rear. This happens when charging or shooting the gun, but only if the bolt is fully pulled back. The bolt will go forward if you press forward on the charging handle.  

Things I have modified on the rifle:
1. I added an ALG trigger. I tried to sand/file down the hump on the trigger somewhat in case that's what the bolt is catching on.
2. I added a Krebs safety to the rifle.

The rest of the gun is stock.

Any help or troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.

Pictures of the rifle below. In the last two photos the bolt is stuck to the rear after being charged.

https://i.postimg.cc/PNDBSz5j/618090041-085317public.jpg
did the bolt carrier stick before those mods were done ? Sanding/filing" just in case "is NOT recommended  . How old is the rifle/how many rounds through it ? Did you use a dremel ....asking for a friend
https://i.postimg.cc/xJwB0qgh/618090051-314887public.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/GTvV9r52/618090063-629272public.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/G88ZwvPv/618090073-360082public.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the issue occur before swapping the trigger as well?
Do you have another AK that you can swap recoil springs with or do you have a spare recoil spring you can try in it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:25:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dntama] [#6]
Is your hammer spring in backwards?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
In the third picture from the top, it appears that the bolt is out of track.  It could be optical illusion.
The upward pressure of hammer against the bolt isn't strong enough to lock the carrier in rearmost position.

The only way I can mimic the carrier stuck all the way to the rear, is when I remove the recoil spring.
The recoil spring prevents the carrier and bolt from popping out of tracks.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
Get a recoil buffer. (Little rubber dude) Costs nothing. Will stop the overtravel.
View Quote

This is your answer
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also try a telescoping recoil rod and an extra power recoil spring.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top