Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 9:38:28 AM EDT
I want to step into the AK side of things with an AK74 but I'm not sure where to start. I saw this thing and I really like the galil type look:

It's bulgarian + global trades receiver and was going for $700, is that a bad price? I see I can get a new AK74 from ORF for about $600. I want something that's cheap but not too cheap if you know what I mean. Or should I do some book learning and build one myself?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have already built a few AK's, then you could build yourself a '74.  It's not too different, just a little more 'picky' on the tolerances.  

If you haven't build a few AK's, then you should just buy one.

Nowdays the prices for '74 kits are a little high and the prices for already built '74's are a little low, so the $ gap is pretty narrow.  At nearly $400 for the kit and $100 for the receiver, $ for rivets, tools, finish etc.  You get within spitting distance of $600 and that's not worth building it IMO if you can get one already built for $600.

When it comes down to it, you'll be probably a little better buying from ORF than building one.  If you get one already built, you don't have to worry about if it will function or not, and what to do about the finish, etc.

I would have no problem buying an ORF '74.

Of course, some people enjoy building regardless of the time involved or pennies saved.  I, on the other hand, enjoy shootin more than anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an OK deal. I thought about buying that one, but I decided to buy a professional build with a scope rail. The ORF sidefolders are about the same price, but I have heard a few bad rumors about rivet work and about the OOW receivers. I came really close to buying one, though, so I wouldn't advise against them.

I mentioned in another thread that the 12 pack of ORF mags is the best deal I can find. Century has the best deal on Bulgarian 5.45mm I've seen, too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top