Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2007 3:43:53 PM EDT
Is a Polish AK worth 120$ more than a Romanian if the only difference is it being Polish and being an underfolder? Might finally be buying another soon...Thanks in advance

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
In general, yes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
yep.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What advantages are there? I'm looking at Lancaster by the way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my personal opinion here but, if you are only going to own 1 AK, get a fixed stock.  The underfolds will bring more re-sale, but are not as nice to shoot.  That being said, the underfold is a neat little option and looks cool.  The polish seems to have a better fit and finish than the Romainians.  I have both, and aside from looks, they function the same,  flawless.  

If you are looking purely at worth, the polish will cost more, if you are looking for value and shootabilty, go with a fixed stock....in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I already have a SLR-105A1 so I know how fixed stock's handle. This is my first (and maybe only) 7.62 AK, and i'm looking for something that will work but not cost a ton, and also be worth something and be quality. I also really don't care about comfort much, i'm not too picky about that...
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Tantals myself.  Not really a fan of the wire folder but would throw on a different folder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really familiar with Tantals...i've seen em but they always looked ugly to me... I really hate those wire folders too. If the Polish and Romanian AK's from Lancaster are about equal I guess i'll just get a Romy and save a buttload of money still not sure yet...any more oppinions? What does one offer over the other?

Thanks, Tyler
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in the same boat until I handled an underfold and like you said it didn't bother me. All underfolds seem to be more expensive. If thats what you want then you have to spend more it's a personal thing. I personally like the versitility of the underfold plus and don't quote me on this I heard the Polish parts are built better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Polish guns have chrome lined barrels and I've heard the Polish are more highly skilled workers with better equipment equaling a better, smoother and more well made AK.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Polish guns have chrome lined barrels and I've heard the Polish are more highly skilled workers with better equipment equaling a better, smoother and more well made AK.  

The Romanian ones have chrome lined barrels too so thats not an issue. Basically i'm wondering about accuracy, fit & finish, things like that. I don't have a ton of money, so that 120$ is kind of a big deal and I need to know if it's really worth it...
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Polish kits are definitely high quality but I really believe that the difference's are negligible with the obvious exception of the underfolder stock. If you are trying to save money I wouldn't spend the extra just to get one that is Polish. I don't believe that there is $120 worth of difference in the areas you specify, accuracy, fit, and finish.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
From those that said the Polish was definately worth the extra money, I'd like to ask "why"?

I've been readin Polish history and it's made me interested in grabbing a Polish AK. I have a Yugo underfolder which is great! How would the Polish underfolder be better?
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
The most typical difference is build quality, but we're not comparing a WASR to a Lancaster, rather a Lancaster to a Lancaster, so over build quality shouldn't be an issue.

I would expect (typically - not necissarily true for ever example) better machine finishes and possibly more accuracy from the Polish parts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From those that said the Polish was definately worth the extra money, I'd like to ask "why"?

I've been readin Polish history and it's made me interested in grabbing a Polish AK. I have a Yugo underfolder which is great! How would the Polish underfolder be better?

Yeah lets here from some of you w/Polish underfolds
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
So the answer is...? I'm stuck between 4 AK's at the moment, and am trying to decide as soon as possible. Any more info greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Well everyone has a different opinion so I wouldn't wait around for a consensus. All you can do is take the opinions provided and make the decision yourself, I think you will be happy either way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]

I read somewhere that the Polish barrel is made by Steyr.  I don't know if that's true, but if it is I would say they're worth more -- between that and the Polish machine work.

I hope I can snag a couple Poles before they're all gone.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:16:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Well so far its mostly sided towards the Polish...but i'll keep researching to make sure. Any more comments or experiences are extremely welcome
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would say the underfolder option is worth $60 buck's worth of the price difference, and fit/finish make up the other $60 easily. I've never fired a Polish, though, so I can't speak for it's accuracy.

TGorsk08, you said you wanted quality, and you weren't too worried about comfort ... your choice is clear:

Get the Polish UF and make me jealous!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a photo I can post but with my first Polish Underfolder kit I built it with a fixed stock.  Just buy a standard stock trunion and one of the exceptional laminated stocks.

You get a higher quality AK (the Polisk AK) along with the fixed stock...

I like Romanian AKs as well and it is certainly not that Romanian AKs don't work as my SAR-1 has a whole lot of ammo through it but the fin and finish of the Polish AKs just seems nicer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Well i'm really looking at it and am pretty sure im going to go with the Polish. Again, not really interested in another fixed stock AK. Now just to decide if its worth the 70$ extra for 1.6mm decisions decisions...any more input appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well i'm really looking at it and am pretty sure im going to go with the Polish. Again, not really interested in another fixed stock AK. Now just to decide if its worth the 70$ extra for 1.6mm decisions decisions...any more input appreciated!

I had same question.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=95797
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had same question.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=95797

I know I'm pretty sure i'll just go with 1mm. Though the bayonet sure is cool...anyways. I'll update everybody when I get it! Hopefully I can handle the supposed extreme uncomfort Thanks for the help everybody.

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's my three Polish builds.
The fixed stock started out as a UF. I built it with regular trunnion in the back and added a set of matching Polish wood to it. The kit wood was missing the lower HG and the upper HG was trashed. This one is a bit off in that I had to build in some site cant up front in order to have the site post centered to get a good site picture. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it needs that. But it does. The kit had the front sight pressed all the way to the left. I built in about 1/8" of cant so I could center it up again. Built it on a NDS3 receiver. Shoots great though.
Both UF's are built on AKBuilder flats with grip plates. Both are great shooters. I refinished the wood on both.

Here's my very first build. A Romy. Built on a Tapco flat. GC over park finish. I refinished the wood too. The kit appeared to be in unfired condition. It runs perfect and is very accurate as well.

The Romys have a plain black oxide finish that I don't care for. Its thin and wears quickly. The shellac on the wood is awful. But it's easily refinished. That first Romy build really impressed me though with how well it worked. Enough so that I bought two more kits. The Polish ones look good, but the paint finish is easily removed by bore cleaners. So I strip and refinish most all my builds. I either do GC over park or I hot blue them to a deep black color. Frankly the Romy is just as smooth and accurate as the Polish ones. Both will look as good as you want them to when you finish them. Both have chrome lined barrels. The Romys are an under appreciated bargain in my book!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Probably going to be ordering this week
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Probably going to be ordering this week

If your going to go Lancaster there's a 3-4wk wait.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Through Atlantic
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Through Atlantic

Yes, and this is as of this week.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Gay Well...gives me more time to make final decisions I guess. How many are expected? Or should I call and find out myself
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Gay Well...gives me more time to make final decisions I guess. How many are expected? Or should I call and find out myself

Thats good question I didn't ask, when you find out let me know by IM.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats good question I didn't ask, when you find out let me know by IM.

Planning on getting one too? Please, do tell
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#34]
"Order time approx 3 weeks on any AK model at this time due to high demand"

Does that mean they won't have any for 3 weeks, or what? From an email to them...
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
The best thing to do is call to make sure your question gets answered. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I really like the Polish rifles as I bought six of them. Two Tantals and four PMKMS', The paint (ink) on them sux, but if you clean it off with acetone, it leaves a great park job to which I add Molycoat flat black, leaving a perfect paint job that won't wash off. They are just so well made all the way around!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Now i'm just worried about the stock not really the manufacturing country...I realized a cheekweld is kind of necessary and hope I can get one with a underfolder, as those look just dead sexy (especially since its an AK), and offer uniqueness. Any more info appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I heard an underfold will be more marketable later on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I still want to be able to shoot it tho.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I could be wrong but I think your looking for 100% justification to choose one over the other. I don't think your going to get it. Just get what looks and/or feels right for you. And if your debating Polish over Romanian, go Polish for piece of mind. I think the either of the Lancasters wood stock or underfold are the way to go.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top