Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2007 2:05:02 AM EDT
This may be old news to some but I thought I would post it anyway, as my search for wobble on the ak47 forum only yielded 4 or 5 results, mostly about gas tubes.

So here is the deal. The slant break on my new AK, when screwed down tight, didn't line up with the index pin on the FSB. But when I backed it off to line up with the pin it wobbled quite noticeably. So I did a little searching on Google about muzzle brake wobble on AK's and found a neat trick.

Wrap the threads on your muzzle with Teflon thread tape. It works! No more wobble!

I was a bit concerned about how heat would effect the tape, but I found that Teflon tape is rated up to 500F. So unless your lucky enough to own a full auto AK, or you really like bump firing, the tape should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
i peen a few of the threads over slightly. still able to install by hand. the peened threads give it more of an interference fit.
or you can build up rear of f/hider with quick spot weld or JB weld and file down to fit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
?
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
isnt the wobble the way it was designed to index correctly no matter what?
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Must've been pretty loose for someone to take the time to worry about a "problem" like that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
lolol
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It's random. My first Yugo tightened up just as the pin clicked in the groove. The one I have now is pretty loose.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's how they're supposed to be, as was previously stated.  However, if the wobble bothers you, you can lay out a piece of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and sand down the back of the brake until you get a "perfect" index.  It doesn't take long to do this, but it is kinda OCD...
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's how they're supposed to be, as was previously stated.  However, if the wobble bothers you, you can lay out a piece of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and sand down the back of the brake until you get a "perfect" index.  It doesn't take long to do this, but it is kinda OCD...

Ha! Ask my coworkers to describe me and the first thing they would say is OCD. Imperfections drive me nuts. I'm a banker so it works out well though. OCD and perfectionism make me the perfect person to handle finances.

Now as for wobbly muzzle devices, I've heard that brake wobble can decrease accuracy. Is there any truth behind that?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I doubt it has much effect on the slank brake, but it seems to make sense that a wobbly '74 brake might throw off accuracy a bit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now as for wobbly muzzle devices, I've heard that brake wobble can decrease accuracy. Is there any truth behind that?  

A wobbly slant brake does decrease accuracy.  However, it is only a slight decrease.  Combine the less than perfect sights and the inherently inaccurate 7.39x39 cartridge, you will probably not notice a change.

Removing the slant brake altogether, on the other hand, can improve accuracy just enough that you can barely see a change.  Personally, the gains in muzzle climb reduction and flash suppression from the slant brake far exceed any slight accuracy loss.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to your local hardware store and buy a 5/8" external snap ring. Cut the spreader holes off and now you have a perfect washer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#14]
The slant fits tight on one of my SAM7s.  The same brake fits loose on my other one though.  I have a JTAC47 compensator that I've been using and on the rifle that seems to be the "looser" of the two I worry a little bit that due to the wobble a bullet passing through that comp might some day scrape it on the way by and cause a problem.  I've been considering using some tape or sandpaper on it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#15]
i tried the teflon tape a few weeks back when i was working on my mak90. the tape i bought said "military spec." and "500 deg. rated" .after 3 mags of shooting, not bumping, i took off the brake and only small shards of tape remained.

i know have a birdcage flash hider from red star arms installed, no wobble.

2D2C
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top