Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 4:33:03 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a rifle that I can fire a lot of rounds through with little worry about wear and tear on the gun. I've been researching both the AR15 and AK side, and I'm really leaning towards an AK. I like the general look much better and the simplicity/reliabilty is a major draw.

My questions are:
1) This would be my first AK, so which one should I get? Russian, Chinese, Bulgarian, so many choices guide, me in the right direction

2) With all that I have been reading about the ammo shortages, I don't want to buy a gun and not be able to shoot it due to I can't feed it. A guy at the gun store mentioned american companies producing the 7.62x39 ammo, is that an option?  Or are there some links that I can buy the ammo from?

3) A while back I got to handle an AK, but the wood on the foregrip and stock was really rough. Can I sand it to make it smoother, or can I replace it with a different set of grips altogether?

Thanks for the help
Tom
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Vector Classic or a Vector Classic Poly. Either one would be a great first AK ...

EDIT: I vote for the Classic ...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm looking to get a rifle that I can fire a lot of rounds through with little worry about wear and tear on the gun. I've been researching both the AR15 and AK side, and I'm really leaning towards an AK. I like the general look much better and the simplicity/reliabilty is a major draw.

My questions are:
1) This would be my first AK, so which one should I get? Russian, Chinese, Bulgarian, so many choices guide, me in the right direction

2) With all that I have been reading about the ammo shortages, I don't want to buy a gun and not be able to shoot it due to I can't feed it. A guy at the gun store mentioned american companies producing the 7.62x39 ammo, is that an option?  Or are there some links that I can buy the ammo from?

3) A while back I got to handle an AK, but the wood on the foregrip and stock was really rough. Can I sand it to make it smoother, or can I replace it with a different set of grips altogether?

Thanks for the help
Tom

looks like you live in California, correct? If so, forget about owning any sort of AK
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been meaning to change that damn california thing, sorry guys. i'm moving to arizona in a month where laws are pretty lax.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
arsenal, check out jensen arms on the equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the Arsenal if you can afford one, get one. I love my SA M-7 ...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Go in the EE and look up the post ban romanian wasr 10. its a real shooter. I should know, she's mine. It breaks my heart to sell her, but I really got no choice financially. Even if you dont buy mine, seriously, romanian rifles are great. they arent the prettyest things out there but they are reliable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Here I'm going to do you a favor. Avoid any 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 AK. The ammo prices are through the roof on these because the com block countries are going to 5.56NATO. Just warning you- stick with either a 5.56AK such as the Arsenal SAM5 or go buy an AR15 but whatever you do since it's your first time just get either one in 5.56NATO, the other calibers are just to damn expensive for the ammo. Otherwise you can always not listen to me and waite another few years until there is no more 7.62 or 5.45- once Russia drops these calibers prices already heading through the roof will be even worse. Know your market conditions and global economics-  

Creeper
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go in the EE and look up the post ban romanian wasr 10. its a real shooter. I should know, she's mine. It breaks my heart to sell her, but I really got no choice financially. Even if you dont buy mine, seriously, romanian rifles are great. they arent the prettyest things out there but they are reliable.

FWIW I bought a Vector Poly and I'll probably sell or trade my WASR-10 later on. YMMV

This is not an offer to sell mine so don't steer me to the EE
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here I'm going to do you a favor. Avoid any 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 AK. The ammo prices are through the roof on these because the com block countries are going to 5.56NATO. Just warning you- stick with either a 5.56AK such as the Arsenal SAM5 or go buy an AR15 but whatever you do since it's your first time just get either one in 5.56NATO, the other calibers are just to damn expensive for the ammo. Otherwise you can always not listen to me and waite another few years until there is no more 7.62 or 5.45- once Russia drops these calibers prices already heading through the roof will be even worse. Know your market conditions and global economics-  

Creeper

I just can't see 7.62x39 totally disappearing.Wolf and similar companies will always produce 7.62x39,as there are many hungry rifles in this caliber to feed.....

Oh, and Russia will never adopt a NATO caliber, IMHO. The Russians are some of the proudest people around, and they would likely view that as damaging to their integrity. Not to mention that they just don't have the budget to equip their troops with a new caliber......5.45 will be around for a bit yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Creeper

That is completely rediculous. There are far more AKs on the market in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 than 5.56x45. No, everyone is not switching to 5.56. The reason the ammo is scarce has nothing to do with them not manufacturing it. In fact it is the extremely high demand in a few specific countries that is causing the problem here. There are millions upon millions of AKs in the world chambered in 7.62x39. It is absolutely rediculous to believe the Russians or any one else will ignore that market.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the Equipment Exchange onAR15.com. There is a killer deal on a chinese underfolder(pre ban). Buy the complete made at the factory AK's. They will hold their value.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top