Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 2:36:50 PM EDT
Just wondering if  Kobra red dots have actually seen any use with the Russian military...I've heard they have, can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/kobra1.html

According to Tantal, yes, they are "currently used in the field"... though, I have no other evidence of this... that being the case, kind of makes me want one... though the price is kinda psychotic.... it's a laser pointer and a piece of glass, bro.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll tell you what, buy a Kobra and take it apart. Draw up prints for all the parts and see how much it costs to die cast them. The Kobra is die cast. Then price up the cost of machining the elevation dials and etching them.

The point I'm making is that the LED and electronics are in fact cheap enough, it's the body and mechanics that make it cost so much (combined with small production numbers). I garuntee you you're not going to get a better deal on an optic of that quality elsewhere. Just try pricing up an EoTech! And they're mostly plastic and don't have quick elevation and windage adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
[it's a laser pointer and a piece of glass, bro.]

Yeah, and the 10x42 Leupold Ultra M3A telescope sight on the m-24 is just two pieces of glass without the laser pointer....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
"it's a laser pointer and a piece of glass, bro"

Hey" BRO" been beating the shit out of my Cobra for the better part of 5 years.....no defects keeps zero......and has never failed.  Just fire up your bridgeport and make one for yourself if you think its too expensive! Don't forget to add the electronics for sight image windage and elevation  adjustments and all the mechanical devices to initiate adjustments........................

Point taken sorry for the offensive remark.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Russian Spetnaz uses Kobra sights on their AK-74M and AKSU-74

http://club.guns.ru/images/convention/11.jpg
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
What do they cost? I see them for sale in Europe from time to time, but I dont know if they are a bargain orjust as pricey as over here?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
They run about $185 now from tantal, still not outrageous in my opinion, especialy when compared to U.S. optic costs.  In general all the russian optics are ugly and awkward looking to most westerners, but you shouldnt let that fool you.  They are fine quality pieces.  And extremely durable too, just look at a kobra, you could probably use it as a striking weapon if your weapon went down lol.  Oh and yes they do Re-Zero when removed.  Dont know why we havnt been able to replicate this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They run about $185 now from tantal, still not outrageous in my opinion, especialy when compared to U.S. optic costs. In general all the russian optics are ugly and awkward looking to most westerners, but you shouldnt let that fool you.  They are fine quality pieces.  And extremely durable too, just look at a kobra, you could probably use it as a striking weapon if your weapon went down lol.  Oh and yes they do Re-Zero when removed.  Dont know why we havnt been able to replicate this.

This is why Kobras look so at home on AKs: they are blocky, ugly, and sinister looking, just like the AK. I've always thought that Aimpoints and EOtechs don't look right on the AK platform, they're just too high tech and tactical. The Kobra, on the other hand, looks like it was made to sit on the top of an AK reciever.......which, um, it was.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now that we have established that there are technical reasons for the cost of a Kobra (which I think are a great bargain by the way), lets drop that subject.

I would like to know whether or not these are used by teh Russian military myself, I have seen Tantals claims that they are, but I make it a point to never make up my mind based solely on info coming from the person who is selling the item.

mjghh40, your last post came awful close to a personal attatck, which is against the COC. Lets keep it civil.

Huh? did I miss someting?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm interested in sticking one of these on a Bulgy AK74 i'm building..  got 2 questions though..

1.  Power source?? commercially available U.S. batteries or some wierd hard to attain power source??
AA batteries 70hr average life

2.  Is it relatively easy to mount the side receiver site attachment(scope mount) after you've built the rifle?  Obviously looks as though you would have to remove FCG..

ETA   FAQ on Tantal is your friend..
Thanks

John P..
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#16]

I have an EOtech on my AR, and it is awsome.  But...an EO tech and a mount for an AK would run
400.00 , the Kobra 180.00.  The Kobra  is steal at that price.
I got mine from Tantal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I've viewed over 1000+ pictures of the Chechen War, and I think I've seen only a couple in use. And in those, they looked to be special forces of one type or another- Spetsnaz, OMON, etc.

I think Russians have a general distain for optics on their rifles, with the obvious exception of snipers. But that's just conjecture.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've viewed over 1000+ pictures of the Chechen War, and I think I've seen only a couple in use. And in those, they looked to be special forces of one type or another- Spetsnaz, OMON, etc.

I think Russians have a general distain for optics on their rifles, with the obvious exception of snipers. But that's just conjecture.

maybe general disdain is equal to lack of funds...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep-

It was some sort of Spetznas unit though....

ETA-

Shot the thing, and didnt care for it at all.. The reticle dot "bounced" with recoil....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine has never bounced, check your mounting bracket.  My Kobra has never been anything but a completly solid, dependable, and accurate optic.  The reason you dont see these in use by average russian troops is because they are used only by russian counterterrorist units.  The money goes to where it will be used best.  They dont have the resources to give one to every average joe like we do.  Hell ive even heard in some cases of U.S. soldiers purchasing their own optics for their issue weapon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mine has never bounced, check your mounting bracket.  

I'm pretty sure that he'd have to travel back to Russia to check the mounting bracket on that AK-74M...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine has never bounced, check your mounting bracket.  

I'm pretty sure that he'd have to travel back to Russia to check the mounting bracket on that AK-74M...

Mounting bracket was fine.. It was not the scope itself bouncing, but the reticle....

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is why Kobras look so at home on AKs: they are blocky, ugly, and sinister looking, just like the AK. I've always thought that Aimpoints and EOtechs don't look right on the AK platform, they're just too high tech and tactical. The Kobra, on the other hand, looks like it was made to sit on the top of an AK reciever.......which, um, it was.

I thought the kobra looked good mounted on an AR flattop

PS  How could anyone complain about the price ?????

$180 and that includes the mount !!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a PK-AS red dot which is just a little pricier than the Kobra (I paid $195 shipped from Russia) and really love it. It is a black dot/red dot which is very useful if you ever run out of battery (which I wont because I bought a about 20 batteries for like $5 on ebay, lol).
I bought the one that sits ontop of the receiver, It looks tall, but once you get it on a match you will realize that it's a good thing if you are in a hurry to aim! You have chin rest, not cheek rest pretty much... I like it.
I have never shot an AK with a Kobra, but they seem too plastic and bulky to me. But I bet the work just fine!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yep-

img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Stottman/AK-74M.jpg

ETA-

Shot the thing, and didnt care for it at all.. The reticle dot "bounced" with recoil....

Is that a 60rd mag there????
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I bought a PK-AS red dot which is just a little pricier than the Kobra (I paid $195 shipped from Russia) and really love it. It is a black dot/red dot which is very useful if you ever run out of battery (which I wont because I bought a about 20 batteries for like $5 on ebay, lol).
I bought the one that sits ontop of the receiver, It looks tall, but once you get it on a match you will realize that it's a good thing if you are in a hurry to aim! You have chin rest, not cheek rest pretty much... I like it.
I have never shot an AK with a Kobra, but they seem too plastic and bulky to me. But I bet the work just fine!

Plastic? Bulky?  Dude the Kobra is made from metal. The only plastic to speak of on the thing is maybe the dial covers.  And bulky?  Your telling me your PK-AS isnt bulky?  I suggest that you try a Kobra.  You just might love it.  Like most.  But im sure your PK is nice too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Here is another source for Kobra red dot sights.
Kalinka Optics Warehouse
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep-

img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Stottman/AK-74M.jpg

ETA-

Is that a 60rd mag there????

Yes..

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Mine has never bounced, check your mounting bracket.  My Kobra has never been anything but a completly solid, dependable, and accurate optic.  The reason you dont see these in use by average russian troops is because they are used only by russian counterterrorist units.  The money goes to where it will be used best.  They dont have the resources to give one to every average joe like we do. Hell ive even heard in some cases of U.S. soldiers purchasing their own optics for their issue weapon.

Yeah, a few of the guys from my unit (while we were in Iraq) bought eotechs to mount on their m-16s.  I opted to stay with the aimpoint simply because I don't have my own AR at home to feel the need for an eotech when I already have the option of the aimpoint for free.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top