Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:21:03 PM EDT
I just purchased an ORF new painted stock kit, and I traded for a Bulgarian sidefolder complete with all springs and latches. I want to make this into a sidefolder with plumb handguards. My question is, through research, it seems like the front trunion for a sidefolder is modified with a hole to fit the latch. Is this correct? If so, how hard is it to modify the front trunion? I never even payed attention when I first started looking into these. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the rectangular hole in the receiver, but was not sure about the trunion. I guess I was thinking that that rectangular hole had to be in the trunion as well. So how hard is it to place the hole in the bottom of the front trunion? Is it difficult to get the hole in the right spot? I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Getting the holes in the right spot isn't to difficult. There is a diagram with all the dimensions floating around on the web. Hopefully someone will come along with it. I'll see if I can find it in the meantime.

This one?

if the kit was originally a side folder the hole in the trunnion should already be there,..but it really is not that hard to do,.. but i'll warn you now about that hook,pin, and spring,..they are a bastard.

K-VAR is where i got my US made handguards,.. pistol gripand Russian plum mags,...it looks very nice on a sidefolding 74,...you will be very happy when you get done.

ETA: ironic that post # 545 is about a AKS-74,....kinda fitting huh?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the print from Hcpookie's site and compare it to your trunnion, the slot may need to be lower in the reciever if your trunnion is thicker then the one the print is based on. If you put the triangle stock on first you can fold it against the reciever and see where it will land in relation to the slot. then verify that the slot will be in the right front/back location. Mine ended up too far forward and the latch rubs on the stock more than it should when I close it.
As far as the holes in the reciever and trunnion, secure thr front trunnion in the reciever where it needs to be and then secure the whole thing in a drilling fixture in a drill press. It just has to be secure and the bottom of the reciever parallel to the drill press table. First bit is just big enough for the shaft of the pivot pin(you'll need to verify size) and then drill out the reciever with a bit just large enough for the base of the pivot pin. This could be done after the trunnion is riveted in even. The spring is easy. With the tail of the spring sticking out the front of the reciever, put the latch & pin in place. Bend a small hook in the tail of the spring and use a small wire threaded up under the trunnion thru the mag well to pull said small hook back under the trunnion. Tension is now on spring, push pin all the way in and secure the spring in the notch, all done.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. I think that I see now. The actual latch itself is going to sit underneath the front trunion(duh) and then the only modification that I should have to do to the front trunion will be the hole. Does the hole go all the way through the trunion, or just until the pin bottoms out to be retained? So according to pookie it is going to be .906 +- .04 from the front and .476+-.04 fom the left side of the receiver. That does not look too hard. It also looks like the hole is 2 different sizes, like to be used with a retaining pin? Am I on the right track here? Thanks again, I do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
please excuse the retarded window licking third grader on the short bus look,.. but basically,.....

what your seeing on the diagram is how the reciver would look if it had the front trunnion attached and fliped over with you looking down into the hole,....

the hole thru the reciver shell and then the smaller hole in the trunnion,...on my AKS-74 the hole went all the way thru,.. but you can not see it with the barrel in place,..the pin only goes so far into the smaller hole in the trunnion,...the spring also acts like a retainer for the pin,...see the little grove in the pin near the head of  it?

you may want to put a dab of the red threadlocker in the hole or on the tip of the pin before you put it together

hope it helps
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top