Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 7:12:23 PM EDT
Went to a gun show today and the had some Romainian AKs for under 400...thinking about going back to get one. Good or Bad investment???
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Any ak is good. If its a wasr I would offer 350-. Everyone says 300-325 but you need to let them make a little. Hell you can order one yourself for 320 plus shipping and transfer so 350 or so won't be bad. Personally I would spend another 100-150 and get a vector or century yugo. Or I would build a couple myself for the same price. It's not too hard and with all the info on the net it would be fairly easy to have two for 500.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it's recent production....

Some of the WASR rifles produced during the ban were 10rd only...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
180 rounds down the pipe of my wasr-10 today without a problem except for the smoking furniture
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll agree suggest offering around $350, also.

You get the chance to inspect & hand-pick the best one they have for sale. Check for canted front sights (the front sight base leaning to the left or right)  and see if the mag fit is good.

Oh, and don't buy a Romanian AK as an investment. Buy it 'cause you like it & wanna shoot it.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had my WASR 10 for over two years now and think for the money it is one of the most reliable weapons I own.
It has digested many different types of ammo and has even took a dive or two in the mud and still runs like a champ.
Buy one.You'll be happy you did.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 Romanian AK's. Sar-2 , Romak2 and WASR-3. They are great  rifles. Some of them can have problems though. Do some research here about canted sights....etc ... What model are you looking at? The GP WASR10's look to be pretty decent guns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
 Oh yeah, how often can you find something that's cheap enough for most everyman and is also the real, genuine deal?  An AK is one of the best of  the breed and a Romanian really can be in your hands, not like that dream Porche that hasn't yet materialized in your driveway or the Hasselblad camera with digital back that isn't in your camera bag.
 Look at the rifle from above.  If the front sight, gas tube, rear sight and dustcover are all in a straight line and if it passes a quick function check take her home and treat her nice.   She's fun to shoot, fun to look at and can be your comrade in Hell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my 2. Here's some required reading. www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

Bottom one is a Wasr10, I picked up used rusty, and cheap. Has a canted gas block. Cleaned up nice and shoots great!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Romanian SAR series rifles are nice.  Here is one of mine.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I hit the jackpot with my WASR. Not a single problem mechanically since I forked over the cash. It may the bottom of the barrel, but she's a champ.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I own 8 Romies ... No ... make that 7 ... There's a Chinese in the Bunch I think ...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The thing I like about the Romy rifles, is that it's a great starter platform for a Russian AKM clone.

Bud
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I own 2 SARs, 1 SAR3 and 2 WASRS. I am looking for a SAR1 to round out the collection
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top