Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 11:38:30 PM EDT
I was curious what percentage of AK guys are shooters as compared with collectors (WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR AKs, NOT OTHER FIREARMS.)  

The "AKs in Action" thread only got to 3 pages, as opposed to the "ARs in Action" thread that is still going at 18 pages.  

If I could make a poll, I'd ask the following questions:

(1) In your AK collection, you:
     A- Shoot ALL your AKs, ALL the time!
     B- Have an AK that is a safe queen
     C- Have an AK that has never been fired, and probably won't be

(2) When you shoot your AK, you:
     A- Usually shoot an AK in matches/classes
     B- Have shot an AK in a match/class, but usually use your AR for such events
     C- Shoot your AKs informally only

(3) When you buy an AK, you think to yourself:
     A- "This will be perfect for use in a match/class/other shooting situation..."
     B-  "Wow, this is just like the ones used in Vietnam/Cold War/currently in use..."
     C-  "Now I need the correct canvas/bayonet/markings engraved, and it will be perfect!"

Let's see, for ME, I'd answer: 1-A, 2-B, 3-B  

I don't know if that puts me more towards collector than most here, but it's a lot more towards collector than I am with my ARs!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Very informal shooter. Hell, sometimes in the morning, while I'm still holding a cup of coffee and I'm in my boxers, I'll walk out onto the back deck and fire off 10 or so rounds one-handed into a hillside just to hear the blast. I'm sure that I'll eventually want to enter one very nice rifle into my gun cabinet, but not soon. I've just always been floored by the look, the sound, the history, and the erection AKs give me. I think about them everyday as I'm sure most others here do on some level or another.

1-A, 2-C, 3-B
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
no safe queens for me.  all my women earn their money.  one was pretty, but she is pretty no more

1a-2a-3a
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
1A, 2C, 3B.  I shoot the suckers, every chance I get!  No safe Queens here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of my guns would be safe queens, but well, I dont own a safe.

I just cant stand getting anything messed up so I'm super careful with my firearms. Like one little scratch would piss me off, even on a SAR-1. Plus I cant afford to shoot that often, ammo is hard to find now and I dont have much money regardless.

However, I recently got a well used AKS-74 kit from ORF and I'm seriously interested in having it built with no refinish, just parking the receiver, and having a beater AKS-74. For some reason that just sounds really appealing to me.

B
C
B
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If I have spent my hard to come by, hard earned money, on a weapon, I'm sure as hell gonna shoot it.That's what they were built for.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
My three are as follows...

1... A

2... C

3... B "/currently in use...".
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
1 A
2 A
3 A

Although I did buy a Vector underfolder because I thought it was cool, but that doesn't stop me from shooting the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
no disrespect to anyone . I didn't buy'em to look at
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Not that I bought mine to "look at", but I have to admit to wanting an AK-74S clone SIMPLY to have, with no regard for how it handles, how it shoots, or plans to use it for anything other than range-day fun!  I'd rather it be "to spec" than to "my" specs for using on duty.  

This is in direct contrast to my latest AR.  Everything about it was dictated by what I would need in a Patrol Carbine, and will be set up for use in low-light (Eotech and Weaponlight.)  

I guess I'm just an AR shooter, and AK collector...    

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
When I get more guns than I could feasibly use myself in a SHTF situation, I sell a few and buy a nicer gun.  I'm all about shooting, and not at all about collecting.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
1-A
2-C
3-B
At some point they 'gotta go BANG!  That's what they were built for .  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
1)A
2)C
3)A

I'm a collector of informal blasters
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
1-B Chinese PolyTech AKS-762 is for my collection only.

2-C Never shot my AKs in matches.  

3-C Attention to detail with my weapons is very important
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#15]
1. A
2. C
3. B

It's a hobby like anything else, you can be really into it (if you have the time and money and patience) Or it can just be something you like to do every so often. Also if you find a deal you have to jump on it!? Of Course
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot all my guns, informally. Why own it if you're not going to shoot it? You might as well invest in PMs if you keep safe queens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
A
C
Uhh, D - "I am going to be glad I bought this when they ban them again"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I shoot all my guns, informally. Why own it if you're not going to shoot it? You might as well invest in PMs if you keep safe queens.

That's your opinion.  But with 6 other AKs to shoot, I don't have to shoot them all.  A couple of mine are going to be passed down in the family.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
A
A
A

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm all over the map on this one.

I only shoot 2 or 3 of my AKs with any regularity, but most of them have at least been shot some.  I don't have any "safe queens" per se, but I have a couple that haven't been shot... just because I haven't gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I only shoot 2 or 3 of my AKs with any regularity, but most of them have at least been shot some.  I don't have any "safe queens" per se, but I have a couple that haven't been shot... just because I haven't gotten around to it.

Not getting around to it doesn't really count.  

I'm not surprised, but maybe disapointed, by how few AK owners shoot their rifles in organized shooting events (classes/matches/quals.)  I think in general, AK owners see our rifles as merely play-things, or collector pieces, but not as serious platforms for shooting seriously.  When it comes time to compete, we take our ARs.

Perhaps I'm only projecting, but only a couple so far have indicated they shoot formally with their AKs.  Maybe I need to ask, "of those who shoot formally, how many shoot your AKs?"  Maybe THEN I'd get a more accurate response.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A
A
A

I'd like to hear from Tangoo, Rs39, Dalesimpson and Robotizing about shooting the AK in competitions/classes, etc..

What are your impressions?  What are your experiences?  Lessons learned?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#23]
i have never been to a match or class so im gonna have to answer

d
d
d

d= i just shoot the hell out of it
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I shot one of my home made Romanians in a side match last year, and although I didn't place first, I certainly didn't place last.  I took a very close second on one of the stages, right behind a carbon AR and ahead of several thousand dollars worth of ARs.  I will shoot it more this year in our matches, but I will shoot my ARs also.  The only time I feel that my AK is a handicap is when a stage has a mandatory magazine change.  If there are no mandatory mag changes I just pop in a 40 rounder and run it.  I will say that in all but the magazine changes the weapons are pretty equal in 3 gun at the shorter distances, and that the majority of shooting is the shooter.  I don't use any optics on my AKs either, but I do use them on my ARs.  I just practice shooting my AKs with both eyes open, using a more instinctive pointing action instead of aiming.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A
A
A

I'd like to hear from Tangoo, Rs39, Dalesimpson and Robotizing about shooting the AK in competitions/classes, etc..

What are your impressions?  What are your experiences?  Lessons learned?

I've only gone to two competitions and there weren't that many guys with AK's (counting me it was 3 people out of 25 probably). We all had red dots (I was shooting my SLR-101 with a PK-AS) one guy even had an AK-74!
I noticed a few AR's jammed but the AK's of course did not. I also noticed that it is more in your skills than in what kind of rifle you shoot to place first... My AK did wonderfully, better than me of course since it was only my second time at this kind of thing.
Its all in your skills if you are shooting under 100 meters, AK, AR, etc... After that the inacuracy of the AK will show a little more. But it still won't hurt as much as the Jams!!!
I had fun, thats what really matters...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.  But with 6 other AKs to shoot, I don't have to shoot them all.  A couple of mine are going to be passed down in the family.  

Yes, it's my opinion. I can't afford to own guns that I don't shoot. I'd rather use the money for my ninja training.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not getting around to it doesn't really count.  

I'm not surprised, but maybe disapointed, by how few AK owners shoot their rifles in organized shooting events (classes/matches/quals.)  I think in general, AK owners see our rifles as merely play-things, or collector pieces, but not as serious platforms for shooting seriously.  When it comes time to compete, we take our ARs.

Perhaps I'm only projecting, but only a couple so far have indicated they shoot formally with their AKs.  Maybe I need to ask, "of those who shoot formally, how many shoot your AKs?"  Maybe THEN I'd get a more accurate response.  

Gotcha - I misunderstood the original question.

Yes, I just shoot my AKs informally, for fun, etc.  I use ARs for HD, carry ARs in my vehicles, so when I take a class or attend any formal training I, naturally, take my ARs (I don't shoot competition, but if I did I'd probably go the AR route as well...).  Sorry.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top