Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:17:53 AM EDT
I am debating whether to buy an underfolder or sidefolder AK. The underfolder looks cool, but the sidefolder looks easier and faster to deploy. Also, it looks like I could place an optics mount on the left side of the receiver with the wire sidefolder, but it would be in the way of an underfolder.

Both look uncomfortable.

What do you all prefer?

(edit for spelling)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
For looks i prefer the under folder, for function i prefer the side folder, neither will give you cheek weld like a standard stock but out of your two options the side folder should give better cheek weld. McM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought both!

I couldn't decide.

got 1 forward facing front grip with side folder....

and got 1 rearward facing front grip with underfolder....

Copes Distributing is good shit
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
what did the yugo army choose?  they must of had their reasons and weighed the pros and cons.  they went underfolder, i'll do it too.  if you think about it too much about it, you'll loose more dollars in time spent on the subject than the $400 it costs for a wasr and the $70 for a wire folder stock.  don't debate me, 'cause i don't care.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an E. Germ. side folder.  It ain't real comfortable to shoot.  I'm trying to get used to it.  I wrapped the stock in paracord and it helps a little.  If you really like to shoot and care about that I wouldn't get one.  The standard stock is  much easier to shoot with.  I got the stock for my bug out gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
No hand-to-hand combat vet is going to ever choose a folding stock, period.

A folding stock strictly a convenience tool to stow a rifle in cramped quarters, as in an armored vehicle or an aircraft.

If you want a rifle to shoot comfortably and accurately, get a fixed stock.

If you need the compact size of a folder to fit behind the seat of a Cessna 172, it won't make much difference if is a side or an underfolder.

Go by personal preference.  The folder is a compromise, and the fixed stock is vastly superior when you need a rifle.  Three tours in 'Nam and I never saw a folding stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you need the compact size of a folder to fit behind the seat of a Cessna 172, it won't make much difference if is a side or an underfolder.

That depends on the Cessna!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a MAK90 I put a E.German sidefolder on and I didn't much care for it. (sold it)
I enjoy shooting my Poly underfolder more.
The underfolder swiveling buttplate at least gives you a little wiggle room.
The side folder when extended wasn't as comfortable to fire.
So I say UF wins over sidefolder.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I played with both and the sidefolder just did NOT fit me in any direction.  The underfolder felt like a skeletonized full stock.  So I bought an underfolder kit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
For me, the underfolder fits me and is more comfortable to fire that the wire side folders.
However, the underfolders aren't as quick to get into action as the side folder.

What I may try next is the Ace folder which doesnn't look too out of place on the AK
like the plastic Tapcos and have a more comfortable cheek weld for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Underfolder for me as well...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm working on the underfolder now, and the search for a sidefolder is on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I was able to handle two different AK's, one side and one underfolder. I think I like the underfolder better. It just feels better, and is not at all difficult to deploy, even with a magazine in the weapon. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Hes right ya know
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Both folders are uncomfortable to shoot so that leaves cool factor and the underfolder wins hands down.  As others have said you should get two but it ought to be a fixed stock to shoot and an underfolder to be chillin.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally I think wire folders look like shit thats been eaten and shit back out.

Or a coat hanger that some kid bent.

Id go with the Underfolder.  Or better yet get an Ace.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the new style polymer folding stock from an AK103, looks like a synthetic 74 stock but folds like the AKS stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top