Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/19/2006 4:49:22 AM EDT
For those AK owners that have threaded muzzles, can you measure the amount of space you have between the front of your front sight block and the edge of your muzzle (not the muzzle device) and maybe measure how long your threads are?

My post-ban barrel only has .475" from the front of the sight block to the edge of the muzzle. I'm just concerned that I won't have enough threads for most of the Russian-made/style muzzle devices (slant brake or AK-74 brake), which BTW, leads me to the question, how much threading is required to properly secure the Russian-style devices?

I do not have the compensator locking pin, but is it mandatory? Could I just use a peel/lock/crush washer or some red loctite?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
 They do make an adapter that is held on with (4) allen head screws and then the proper slant brake or whatever is screwed on to the adapter.  It's a small adapter and doesn't look bad either once installed.  

What rifle is this you are planning on threading?

Edited 3.20.06 to remove an incorrect statement.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 7.62x39 Vepr w/ a 0.615" OD muzzle. I've narrowed it down to a few choices: 14mm, 15mm, 9/16", 5/8"

The easiest to do is 14mm but I may have to turn down the barrel. I do not have access to a machine shop though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I measure about .625" of barrel past my M70 front sight and the threaded portion comes out to .539 diameter.  It is threaded almost all the way back to the front sight.  At .475" it seems you may have enough muzzle there to hold one on OK especially if you use the red locktite.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You could always remove the front sight base and thread just a little past that, at least thats the way my chinese rifles are threaded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It seems you may have "threading" on your mind?  If you have a SAR that does not have threads the barrel has been shaved down to the point there is now no room for threads, they were shaved off of the end of the barrel already.  They do make an adapter though that is held on with (4) allen head screws and then the proper slant brake or whatever is screwed on to the adapter.  It's a small adapter and doesn't look bad either once installed.  

Do you even know what you are talking about or are you just making this up as you go along?  What the hell has happened to this forum with people just spouting off bulls**t that is incorrect?

It's really funny that an expert shows up on this forum and says you can't thread a SAR, damn WTF were the 3 frigging Romanian rifles that I threaded the barrels of then?  Get you head out of your backside and if you are going to give someone advice on the forum make sure you know for sure that what you are saying is actually true.

Do not use an adapter with screws to hold your muzzle device on.  

Measure your barrel diameter with a metric caliper.  WJM rents a threading kit on the Equipment Exchange for $20.00 plus priority shipping, if you send him an email he can tell you the measurements you need for threading whatever SAR rifle you have [email protected]  .  It is best to have the plunger pin and spring to hold the muzzle device on and if you check out the picture on K-VAR's site you can probably make your own by getting a solid pin at ACE hardware and dremeling out the slot.

You take the crosspins out of your front sight base (FSB) and remove the FSB or move it back a bit to do your threading, then reinstall the FSB and put the spring and plunger in then the front cross pin to hold them in.

Here is the text off WJM's ad.

The 14 x 1 kit Left Hand thread easily threads most 7.62 AKs (2001 SARs, WASRs and MAK90s need to measure the outside diameter of the barrel, as some of these have had the barrel turned down

The 1/2 x 28 kit will thread an SAR2 or SAR3 and other barrels with an outside diameter of approximately .500", including some of the WASRs with the turned down barrels.

These 3 piece kits include a thread alignment tool (tat) and explicit written instructions, which makes threading your barrel a 10-15 minute job that anyone can do. I also include my home and cell phone numbers to assist anyone in the threading their barrels.

If you plan on threading a 2003 model SAR1, WASR or a MAK90, you need to measure the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. If you don't have a set of calipers, just hold a ruler across the end of the barrel. If you have a metric ruler, it needs to be close to 14mm. If you are using an inch ruler, it needs to measure about .551" (roughly 9/16 of an inch.

Some of these guns have had the barrels turned down, leaving them too thin to thread with a 14mm die (standard for AKs). The good news is that most of them can still be threaded with my ½ x 28 threading kit.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are some pictures of one of those SAR rifles that can't be threaded.  I couldn't find my metric calipers so the measurements in inches will have to do for you.  Maybe these will help you, if not you can ask the expert about installing one of those set screw adapters.

If you have a rifle that you have to thread 1/2 x 28 you can then get an adapter that has 1/2 x 28 threads on the inside and 14x1, 22mm or 24 mm threads on the outside for the brake you are using.  The plunger will hold them all on or you can use some silver solder which will make a semi-permanent attachment which can be removed with your mapp gas torch.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I threaded my 2003 SAR-1 with WJM's threading kit, and I got the detent and spring for the fsb by placing a want to buy ad in the EE.  I do have a Romak 2 that I can't thread because the barrel was turned down, but my SAR threaded fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Do you even know what you are talking about or are you just making this up as you go along? What the hell has happened to this forum with people just spouting off bulls**t that is incorrect?

MAK, sorry you are having a bad day, hope it gets better for you!  Yeah, I know what I was talking about, here's the pix and the link to where it can be purchased.  A lot depends on just how much barrel he has left as some have been turned down beyond safe threading, as the poster before this post acknowledges too.

AK muzzle adapter

edited 3.20.06 as life is too short for this mess.  I apologize for any unkind words I may have typed. I stand corrected on some of my post(s).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The vast majority of SAR-1s did not come with turned down barrels, and can easily be threaded 14x1.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It seems you may have "threading" on your mind? If you have a SAR that does not have threads the barrel has been shaved down to the point there is now no room for threads, they were shaved off of the end of the barrel already.  They do make an adapter though that is held on with (4) allen head screws and then the proper slant brake or whatever is screwed on to the adapter.  It's a small adapter and doesn't look bad either once installed.  

Read your own post why don't you.  I'm not talking about an adapter, though the adapters look like crap.  

Here, I will put it in a quote for you again.

It seems you may have "threading" on your mind? If you have a SAR that does not have threads the barrel has been shaved down to the point there is now no room for threads, they were shaved off of the end of the barrel already

1.  Most SAR's that were imported did not have barrels that were shaved down.
2.  Most SAR's can be threaded.
3.  every SAR that I have owned, I have threaded the barrels with no problem.
4.  SAR's did not get imported with threads on the barrel as they were imported prior to the assault     ban expiring in 2004.  Some Romak and WUM Roamanian rifles had threads with muzzle nuts           welded over them, the SAR did not.  Romanian Kalashnikov rifles
5.  A Romak 2 is not a SAR, stargazer.

Maybe you should stop gazing at stars and look at a SAR rifle before you tell people that they can't be threaded.  Go read your post again.

Oops, here is a picture of another SAR I threaded earlier this year and sold to another Team Member on the site.  WTF how did I thread that rifle?  ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=323116

If you have a SAR that does not have threads the barrel has been shaved down to the point there is now no room for threads, they were shaved off of the end of the barrel already

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't even have to remove the front site base to thread my SAR-1.  You just flip the dies over in wjm's kit and re-chase the threads with the flat side of the die facing the front site base.

Here's another one of the SAR-1's that can't be threaded:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
scromer,  The SAR rifles I wasn't able to thread, I took both pins out of the FSB and pushed it back toward the receiver 1/2 inch and just kept threading just below the front of the sight base as the die I had bottomed out with the threads not close enough to the FSB and my die when flipped over would cut without threads in order to start the die.  It then needed to be flipped to cut threads, it was one I purchased and not one of WJM's rentals.

Come on now, you didn't really thread that barrel did you?  Everyone should know by now that it is impossible to thread a SAR as they all had their barrels turned down if they weren't imported with threads already there.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
wow mak, sorry i have to add my 2 here. you must think your gods gift to ak`s..  maybe the fella asking the question dosent have the ability to do it like you say. or dosnt realy care as long as he`s able to put on a fh or brake. i think a responce like that was uncalled for.. sound to me like you the kind of guy that cant walk through a door with out getting your head stuck in it....

and opens his mouth before thinking....no where in stars thread did i get that it could not be thrteaded... maybe you should learn to understand what you read.........

turning around the die does work if you have to do it that way. just a bitch to get started straight sometimes...

sorry for the rant, just sick of seeing bullshit like this going on when somebody has a simple question. and surly tired off seeing the i`m better then you and my way is the right way crap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
wow mak, sorry i have to add my 2 here. you must think your gods gift to ak`s..  maybe the fella asking the question dosent have the ability to do it like you say. or dosnt realy care as long as he`s able to put on a fh or brake. i think a responce like that was uncalled for.. sound to me like you the kind of guy that cant walk through a door with out getting your head stuck in it....

and opens his mouth before thinking....no where in stars thread did i get that it could not be thrteaded... maybe you should learn to understand what you read.........

turning around the die does work if you have to do it that way. just a bitch to get started straight sometimes...

sorry for the rant, just sick of seeing bullshit like this going on when somebody has a simple question. and surly tired off seeing the i`m better then you and my way is the right way crap.

It isn't the guy who asked the question that I had the problem with.  I IM'ed metroplex with ideas on how he could add a muzzle device to his VEPR.

you must think your gods gift to ak`s

The problem I have is with a guy saying that you can't thread a SAR and the reason you don't see what he posted is that he went back and editted it all out.  If you don't read the post before someone edits out the wrong info which remained up for a day you don't get the full story.

You might read the quote I did before he editted his post and see that he did in fact state you can't thread a SAR.  Of course, most of the other guys who posted that they have threaded their SAR's have the same reading comprehension as myself.  Once again, it wasn't the guy that asked the question about his rifle.  It was the new member like yourself that stated you can not thread a SAR.  As can be seen in the pictures of two rifles I have done myself and the picture and statements from other members, you can in fact thread just about every SAR rifle that was imported.

Also, SAR rifles were not in fact imported with threaded barrels.

Of course, maybe some of you new members would rather appreciate it if members with some knowledge would just let the incorrect statements that have been increasingly posted here on this site just stand as fact, even though they may be incorrect and totally wrong?  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]
i did and i still think you missunderstood him. all you had to do was answer the question and not make an ass out of the fellow who tried to help. i dont care if your a new member or someone whos been around a long time. but i guess that because your a (team member) you know alot more then any one else does on this matter. and feel that you are better then lets say a (new member) i work with guys like that and guess who my company gets to redo all of thier screw ups? me!  its poeple like that who ruin sites like this, i`v seen it many times...............its sad.

he was saying that there is no room for threads, thats all. maybe he dont know the turn the die around trick. there would have to be something out past the front sight. how would you attach a thread adapter to it then.  like i said ......its sad.

edited a third time...(YOU SHOULD READ STARGAZERS POST AGAIN)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

he was saying that there is no room for threads, thats all. maybe he dont know the turn the die around trick. there would have to be something out past the front sight. how would you attach a thread adapter to it then.  like i said ......its sad.

edited a third time...(YOU SHOULD READ STARGAZERS POST AGAIN)

"If you have a SAR that does not have threads the barrel has been shaved down to the point there is now no room for threads, they were shaved off of the end of the barrel already."

He was saying that the diameter of the barrel was to small to thread with a 14x1 thread pattern.  Which is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 its poeple like that who ruin sites like this, i`v seen it many times...............its sad.

Sad it is...this site has gone down hill quite rapidly lately...the noobs know all it seems...
A guy with one SAR or WASR is a veteran AK wealth-spring of knowledge now.  
My advise giving days are numbered.  I will let people make their own mistakes (ones i have made) and screw up their weapons on thier own.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
well i didnt take it as the diameter wasnt enough, i guess you are right and i am sorry i got my ass in a bind, i was thinking when he said enough room he ment length wise. on that part my mistake. i`m sorry. but as far as the way the fella who tried to help was made an ass out of i still am standing firm , that just was way out of line.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you have a rifle that you have to thread 1/2 x 28 you can then get an adapter that has 1/2 x 28 threads on the inside and 14x1, 22mm or 24 mm threads on the outside for the brake you are using.  The plunger will hold them all on or you can use some silver solder which will make a semi-permanent attachment which can be removed with your mapp gas torch.

www.globaltrades.com/ak_misc/607s.jpg
www.k-var.com/shop/images/AK-500.jpg

Ok, if you guys are all good now, I have a technical question for those who KNOW the freak'n answer.  

MAK- You stated the above quote.  Pay special attention to the words in red.  This applies to me, as I have an AK that has been threaded with 1/2X28 (AR) threads.  I want to put a slant brake on it.  Global Trades makes a 1/2X28 slant brake, but they have been out of stock on that part for QUITE a while.  I would REALLY like to know where I can get an adapter to go from 1/2X28 to 14mm reverse threads.  K-VAR only has 14mm to 24mm.  

If you know FOR SURE that these adapters exist, PLEASE IM ME!!!!  (Hopefully with WHERE I can order one.)

ETA: the adapter from GT only goes from 14mm OR 1/2X28 TO 22mm OR 24mm.  I don't know of one that goes FROM 1/2X28 TO 14mm reverse.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top