Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:14:19 PM EDT
Hi all,

For 5.56/.223 AKs, Which is a better flash hider, the bulgy or the vortex? I understand one can mount a bayonet on the bulgy but am not concerned about this feature.

Bulgy:

Vortex:

thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vortex will work better. The Bulgarian one is basically an A2 with longer slots.

7.62x39 doesn't produce all that much flash anyway out of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Flash Suppressor Testing

Great link!  Unfortunately with my old eyes, I can't read anything on the page.  What are the results?

Ligament,

What type of weapon is the FH going on?  If it's an Arsenal, I'd opt for the Bulgarian.   However, I've always read literature that suggests the Vortex and Phantom flash suppressors are tops in virtually eliminating flash signature.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Vortex will work better. The Bulgarian one is basically an A2 with longer slots.

It depends heavily on which ammo is fired, lots of 7.62x39 out there that will produce an impressive fireball.

I would like to see someone test that Bulgarian hider with commonly available ammo.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends heavily on which ammo is fired, lots of 7.62x39 out there that will produce an impressive fireball.

I guess the flash hider on my Valmet 62 worked pretty well then. I haven't fired a regular slant braked AK in years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess the flash hider on my Valmet 62 worked pretty well then. I haven't fired a regular slant braked AK in years.

Maybe you had/have decent ammo too, lots of dirty burning crap out there, surplus, wolf, ect,...I've gotten some pretty cool fireballs out of my 20" sks.

Shooting at night is fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe you had/have decent ammo too, lots of dirty burning crap out there, surplus, wolf, ect,...I've gotten some pretty cool fireballs out of my 20" sks.

bump fire a PSL with the old surplus ammo out of a green tin can around dusk i think the only thing more impressive is the flash out of the original 1921 tommy guns
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bump fire a PSL with the old surplus ammo out of a green tin can around dusk i think the only thing more impressive is the flash out of the original 1921 tommy guns

You know.....I may need to give my cousin a ring.......

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#10]
You also need to take into account that the Bulgarian flash hider has an exit hole for a 7.62 projectile which probably limits its flash hiding abilities on a 5.56 round.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no question that the Vortex is vastly superior to the Bulgarian Birdcage or for that matter anything else.  Testing by ARDEC and APG have proved this time and time again, as has the US Navy.  Canada has reached the same conclusions and that's why the Vortex is standardized on the C-8.   Also, keep in mind these flash suppressors are designed specifically to accept the SEI "DC" line of sound suppressors.  

My SAM-5S with Vortex

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the look of the Bulgarian flashhider
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top