Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
This is basically what happens when you get Carter a dutch/german barbarian gunsmith (top of his class, Colorado School of Trades) and an evil pathan (me, Aurang) together.  We want to make sure our firearms work properly, in any condition.  Our favorite test is the drag test, we insert an empty magazine with a bolt stop, charge the weapon (make sure it locks back), fully extend the sling and drag it behind a trailer hitch equipped vehicle.

My contribution to this project was a new production Krebs KTR-03S, a mix of an Armory USA receiver, minty Bulgarian Parts kit, and FSE and Krebs produced parts.  I installed an ACE folder and a Specter Gear Sling.

First pic, on the back of the trailer hitch.  The Chicom was used as the "control" element, as it has passed this test more than once.

My Barbarian gunsmith getting ready to haul rifles across north central AZ.

Zoom!  (note: dust cloud)

Dusty!

Looks good!

Shoots good!  Stayed zeroed when fired at same target afterwards.  Accurate to 2-3 MOA.

An amazing piece of machinery, a rock solid receiver, a sturdy stock and an excellent sling.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking nice
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
so how far were these dragged?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't take this the wrong way but

a.) That Krebs is a $1000 rifle, right?
b.) That wasn't very harsh as far as torture tests go.

Just don't see the point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Run it over and then try it. I bet it would still work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Curt, the rifles were dragged a couple hundred feet.

Thekatar, this test was originally invented by the glock worshippers to demonstrate how rugged their pistols were.  Carter bet that an AK could stand up to the same test a few years back and was proven right.  Since a chicom or other decent AK could stand up to the test, we had questions about the $1000 Krebs gun (well $1200 with the Ace stock, sling, and transfer fee), this effectively answered any questions we had about its durability.  Surprisingly there was little damage to the finish of the rifle, not even a scratch on the receiver.

BTW, we did shake as much debris out as we could after we removed the test mag and then cycled the action a couple times, we're not crazy after all, a rock in your barrel will ruin your day no matter what gun you have.

If there was a scientific reason behind the test, I'd say it simulates a rifle getting excessive debris/dust/dirt/sand in the action, or falling off a moving vehicle.

Yes there are different kinds of harsh tests, like freezing a gun, firing 20,000 rounds out of it, dunking it in mud and using proof loads.  However for AZ, this is the test that proves whether a gun can function or not.  If you note in the last picture, AZ earth will make a rifle look like it came back from the sandbox in short order.

We have yet to have anyone volunteer an AR-15 type for this test, or the simple version of this test (tossing a handfull of dirt in the receiver and shaking it out).
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top