Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:31:01 PM EDT
hello,
I am new to the AK world and i am ready to buy my first one(after a shit load of research), but what should i look for on the rife before i buy to insure i don't get a POS?

Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all about what you want to spend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
hello,
I am new to the AK world and i am ready to buy my first one(after a shit load of research), but what should i look for on the rife before i buy to insure i don't get a POS?

Thanks
Chris

Buy with confidence from a large number of manufacturers/builders.  However, most of the stuff you see at the local stores are WASRs.  To buy a good AK, find it online and have it transferred in to your FFL.  

I happen to be lucky that my local store is a stocking dealer for Armory USA.  I've bought two Armory USA rifles, and both have been fantastic!  

Rule of thumb: if the build is made from a Bulgarian or Polish parts kit, it's probably good.  If it's Romanian, I'd be careful.  If you really want a Romanian, buy a parts kit and send it to a smith to build.  

Another thing.  The ban is over; don't buy a non-threaded AK without a bayonet lug.  Get a "real" one!

Bulgarian Armory USA SSR85C-2:

Polish Armory USA underfolder:

Or you could find a pre-ban Norinco AKM-47S:

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hello,

Thanks
Chris

Buy with confidence from a large number of manufacturers/builders.  However, most of the stuff you see at the local stores are WASRs.  To buy a good AK, find it online and have it transferred in to your FFL.  

I happen to be lucky that my local store is a stocking dealer for Armory USA.  I've bought two Armory USA rifles, and both have been fantastic!  

Rule of thumb: if the build is made from a Bulgarian or Polish parts kit, it's probably good.  If it's Romanian, I'd be careful.  If you really want a Romanian, buy a parts kit and send it to a smith to build.  

Another thing.  The ban is over; don't buy a non-threaded AK without a bayonet lug.  Get a "real" one!

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/053105.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/050925.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/NorincoAKM-47S.jpg

Good luck!

Just to clarify; the SSR-85C-2 does not have a bayo lug.  At least my two don't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
hello,

Thanks
Chris

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/053105.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/050925.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/NorincoAKM-47S.jpg

Good luck!

Just to clarify; the SSR-85C-2 does not have a bayo lug.  At least my two don't.

You are correct.  I bought it afte the ban, but before all the "no-ban" AKs were available.  That is where my "buy no-ban AKs" comes from.  I bought too quick and ended up having to buy another in order to get an authentic configuration.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Vector or an Arsenal and you won't get a POS.  Where in NH are you?  If you are in northern NH there are a couple good gun shops that I can recommend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top